Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Is Chelsea Clinton Setting a Bad Example? 
    Is Chelsea Clinton Setting a Bad Example?
    By BRETT ARENDS

I'm constantly amazed at how much some money people blow on the Great White Wedding.

But Chelsea Clinton's forthcoming extravaganza takes the cake. The $11,000 cake, reportedly.

So in honor of this weekend's crazy Gilded Age circus, here are seven financial messages for would-be brides, grooms—and their parents.

1. Yes, the wedding-industrial complex marches on. The Age of Austerity? Ha. If you thought the recession was going to kill the GWW, think again. "We're in a recession-resistant industry," says Carley Roney, editor-in-chief of Knot Inc.'s TheKnot, the weddings website. The company's data suggest that the price of the median wedding, which dropped from $19,000 to $17,500 from 2008 to 2009, has now stabilized this year. Revenues rose 16% in the first quarter of 2010.

2. Spending a fortune on a wedding is a choice, not a necessity. Chelsea's wedding is likely to cost $2 million to $3 million, says Ms. Roney. But first daughter Jenna Bush managed to hold a somewhat quieter affair for a lot less when she got married two years ago. She invited about 200 guests and held the wedding on her parents' ranch in Texas. It was hardly cheap, but at $100,000, the tab wasn't even in the same ballpark.

3. Spend what you can afford. Sure, the Clintons are spending a lot, but they are rich. Their net worth was estimated at $35 million not long ago. Chelsea is their only child. And Bill gets paid about $250,000 a speech. After taxes, that's about $160,000. So he could clear a $3 million tab for Chelsea's big day with 19 speeches. Even at one speech a day, that's three weeks' work. The average family maybe earns $3,000 in three weeks. Yet they spend about $17,500 on a wedding.
    More good advice at the link.

WSJ

I'm beginning to get the impression that Bill Clinton no longer feels our pain.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Once politicians get a taste of DC life, none of them feel our pain.

Power CUer
    Why is this an issue? I might not spend my money the same way, but it's THEIR money. Some people would think my father spent too much almost 25 years ago - a $10,000 wedding for about 55 guests, in 1986.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    You base that the assumption that he acutally did feel our pain.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Why is this an issue? I might not spend my money the same way, but it's THEIR money. Some people would think my father spent too much almost 25 years ago - a $10,000 wedding for about 55 guests, in 1986.
    Normally it would not be an issue. However, when politicians like the Clintons/Democraps get on their high horse about bashing the rich it kinda smacks of hypocrisy.

What's a shame is that the reception will be mostly Dems. Dems hate spending their own money. I'll be shocked if she gets one card that has more than $50 in it.

Don't forget she's a Hedge Fund manager...I'm sure she's bringing home some serious dough as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkgirl View Post
    Don't forget she's a Hedge Fund manager...I'm sure she's bringing home some serious dough as well.
    ooohhhh so that's how they made the invitations list. . . . I'll bet Hillary will be getting some money out of this as well . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    OK. Fair enough and I don't agree with you per se but wasn't it Bill Clinton who said that he didn't want to cut taxes because the people wouldn't spend their money right?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.