Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Looking for advice 
    I have a small process service and law enforcement consulting business that brings in about $5,000 a month. I operate out of my home with very little over head. My Krav Maga instructor has approached me with an idea to merge and start a personal protection academy. I would be The majority owner with 60%.
    He currently has around 30 students at $75.00 a month each.

We would need a building with about 3500 to 5000 square feet to operate this.

There are some pretty business savvy people here so, what do you think?
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Let's talk about what's in it for him first. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Big Guy View Post
    I have a small process service and law enforcement consulting business that brings in about $5,000 a month. I operate out of my home with very little over head. My Krav Maga instructor has approached me with an idea to merge and start a personal protection academy. I would be The majority owner with 60%.
    He currently has around 30 students at $75.00 a month each.

We would need a building with about 3500 to 5000 square feet to operate this.

There are some pretty business savvy people here so, what do you think?
    I wish there was a Krav Maga instructor in Huntsville, AL. It sounds like it might be a good deal possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Let's talk about what's in it for him first. ;)
    He gets more access to the local Law Enforcement community (through me). I forgot to mention that I also teach and certify Police in the use of Chemical agents (Pepper Spray), Specialty Impact Munitions (Rubber Bullets and bean Bags) and Diversionary Devises (Flash Bang Grenades). I am also a Taser instructor.
    I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them. Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Jfor View Post
    I wish there was a Krav Maga instructor in Huntsville, AL. It sounds like it might be a good deal possibly.
    There may be, just look around. There is a school in Nashville, just a few hours drive.

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    He gets more access to the local Law Enforcement community (through me). I forgot to mention that I also teach and certify Police in the use of Chemical agents (Pepper Spray), Specialty Impact Munitions (Rubber Bullets and bean Bags) and Diversionary Devises (Flash Bang Grenades). I am also a Taser instructor.

Oh dear god, you should join DU and slip that info in...their heads would explode!!! :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Quote Originally Posted by SarasotaRepub View Post
    Oh dear god, you should join DU and slip that info in...their heads would explode!!! :D
    That would be fun, wouldnt it? :D

At first glance, I would say that liability insurance might be an added expense that your consulting business probably pays relatively little on now. Assuming your business is doing well, sans overhead, are you sure that you want to take on that added cost? Running a MA school also leaves you slave to the dedication of the teacher(s) to the enterprise. Krav Maga instructors aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

Just my first read.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    At first glance, I would say that liability insurance might be an added expense that your consulting business probably pays relatively little on now. Assuming your business is doing well, sans overhead, are you sure that you want to take on that added cost? Running a MA school also leaves you slave to the dedication of the teacher(s) to the enterprise. Krav Maga instructors aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

Just my first read.
    This is true, he is the only one within 50 miles. He recently got out of the Army (5th Special Forces Group) and he also teaches at a local community College.

There may be, just look around. There is a school in Nashville, just a few hours drive.
    There's not. Closest one I found from Krav Maga's website is Nashville lol... Maybe one day we will get somebody down here. In the meantime, I am gonna order a book and maybe search for some videos online.