Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 First Deer Rifle! 
    Thankfully by the grace of Almighty God...your's truly has saved enough green to stimulate the economy by repaying the charity of dad's Remington 760 30.06 (killed my only buck, 13 years ago) and buying my very first deer rifle!

Long story short....I need some ideas. I've bagged a doe with dad's browning lever action .308, my only buck with the 760 and missed plenty of PA whitetails with it. I'm looking for an accurate out-of-the-box deerslayer capable of nailing my first PA buck since 98.

For the record: I need a rifle with good knockdown power, a 3x9 scope and the ability to come in under $850. Suggestions?
    Last edited by marinejcksn; 08-01-2010 at 06:13 AM.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Savage 10FP. Weatherby MarK V. FN Patrol .308

OR: Should I save my cash for the Winchester lever action .32 that our cook tries selling every year?

SATAN: Please don't take attention away from what I feel is a worthwhile post a hole. I need some serious advice.

ANY HUNTERS WITH SERIOUS ADVICE....PLEASE MESSAGE ME! I DON'T WANT TO MAKE A BAD DECISION.:o

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Thankfully by the grace of Almighty God...your's truly has saved enough green to stimulate the economy by repaying the charity of dad's Remington 760 30.06 (killed my onlybuck, 13 years ago) and buying Bmy very first deer rifle!

Long story short....I need some ideas. I've bagged a doe with dad's browning lever action .308, my only buck with the 760 and missed plenty of PA whitetails with it. I'm looking for an accurate out-of-the-box deerslayer capable of nailing my first PA buck since 98.

For the record: I need a rifle with good knockdown power, a 3x9 scope and the ability to come in under $850. Suggestions?

I have always loved my Remington 30-06. I have made some very good shots with it.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

My first deer rifle was a 30.30 Winchester. Brush buster, short barrel lever action. Worked wonders though. Took an 8 point white tail, and a good 200lb doe with it when I was in high school.

Anything in the .30 caliber range will be plenty heavy enough to drop a white tail. I'd say just look for your anything in your price range. In PA I doubt you'll be making any shots over a couple hundred yards so you don't need anything super accurate.

This is what I use today, but it might be a bit pricey for you. Cost me $1100, and I saved $200 on the price tag.

AR-10A2. Just as it looks, but uses a .308 caliber round instead a .223.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    ANY HUNTERS WITH SERIOUS ADVICE....PLEASE MESSAGE ME! I DON'T WANT TO MAKE A BAD DECISION.:o
    Seriously, if I was looking to buy a new bolt gun, I would be buying a Savage in .308. Great value out of the box and I guarantee it will be more accurate than you are.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanicus View Post
    Strange how people find joy in killing animals.

Hey bud are you married to any particular action type? You could do a helluva lot worse than picking up a surplus bolt gun.

The Mosin Nagant '39 is an inelegant looking pice but once the sights are tuned it's fairly accurate out about as far as you would care to shoot. 7.62x45 caliber. The scope mounts are usually offset.

The Lee Enfield #4 MK1 is also a superb weapon. .303 British, 10 round detachable magazine and the slickest bolt action throw you could ask for.

Or a M98 Mauser from Mitchels Mausers. 8mm, 5 round.

The ballistics on all of those are about the same as a 30-06 round. IIRC the Russian Nagant has a slightly flatter trajectory then the rest.

All of those are available for around 250$. I own one of each and have been well served by 'em.

I'm leaning towards a bolt action rifle....which caliber and make is the best? I'll always have a spot in my heart for the 30-06. :D