Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Wikileaks founder fears he could be arrested 
    The 39 year-old told journalists at the Frontline Club last night that US government insiders had informed him about discussions to charge him as a co-conspirator to espionage.

The discussions were later dropped.

Mr Assange says despite this he still fears he is at risk of being forcefully detained by the US government as a material witness in the prosecution of US intelligence analyst Bradley Manning.

Mr Manning, 22, was arrested in Baghdad in May and charged earlier this month with multiple counts of mishandling and leaking classified data, after a computer hacker turned him in.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-arrested.html

If it is true that the administration or anybody in our government told this man that, I hope they are shot dead. Fucking traitors.
    Last edited by bijou; 08-03-2010 at 02:53 AM. Reason: to comply with B/N format

I'd love to see him prosecuted as well.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Definitely. He knew exactly what kind of documents he was putting out there.
    If he sets foot on US soil, he should be arrested as a spy and charged with espionage.

Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!
    He's never going to go any where that he could be arrested. Hell we can't get them to send us a convicted child rapist.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Who ever warned him not to return to the US needs to be ferrited out as well. Barry's admin is full of ghey leaks it seems . . . .
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Not to be the one to go against the grain, but the owner of wikileaks didn't swear an Oath of Enlistment or Office to this country, and wasn't granted the privilege of a Secret Clearance along with the associated responsibility. I'm no lawyer, but I'm just saying that it doesn't look like Mr. Assange had any responsibility to keep his mouth shut about the leak, the responsibility for the leak and its outcome rests entirely on the guy with the clearance, who took an oath. Then again, INAL.

This part is a reasonable fear of Mr. Assange:

"That doesn't seem to be the thinking within the United States any more however there is the other possibility of being detained as a material witness and being kept either in confinement or not being allowed to leave the country until the Manning case is concluded."
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Agree that the soldier that leaked it in the first place is the root cause, and the one that should be charged with treason. As you say he had the security clearances and took the oath. I'd charge and convict him of treason and give him the death penalty.

The Wiki guy though, did not commit treason. He didn't betray his own country or an oath. But what he did was act as a conduit to transfer classified and damaging documents from our traitor in paragraph 1 to our enemies. That should carry a charge of espionage. That is just the same as if I (the average joe citizen) were asked to carry documents from Israel and hand them over to Hezbola. If caught I'd be charged by Israel as a spy regardless of what my home country is. Taking papers from country A and giving them to country B when A&B are at war with each other is espionage.
    Last edited by Kay; 08-03-2010 at 12:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kay View Post
    Agree that the soldier that leaked it in the first place is the root cause, and the one that should be charged with treason. As you say he had the security clearances and took the oath. I'd charge and convict him of treason and give him the death penalty.

The Wiki guy though, did not commit treason. He didn't betray his own country or an oath. But what he did was act as a conduit to transfer classified and damaging documents from our traitor in paragraph 1 to our enemies. That should carry a charge of espionage. That is just the same as if I (the average joe citizen) were asked to carry documents from Israel and hand them over to Hezbola. If caught I'd be charged by Israel as a spy regardless of what my home country is. Taking papers from country A and giving them to country B when A&B are at war with each other is espionage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amendment I, U.S. Constitution
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

If we expect this level of freedom from our own population, yet deny it's relevancy to those of another nation, what does that make us? Hypocrites? Most definitely. Liars? Absolutely! The fact is that Mr. Assange had every right to publish whatever information was brought to him. Because he is the "free press". He is a journalist, he is a member of the free press, and he has a right, given by God, not man, to publish information brought to his attention. Sure he could pick and choose which information to publish according to his own bias, and he probably does that, just like all press agencies do that, because they are mere, mortal men. However, that does negate a God given right to freedom of the press. Just as a carpenter erects his building from the loggers boards, and a welder fuses his joints from the smelters steel, Mr. Assange publishes his stories from the sources available.

You see, I'm a USMC 0231, that's an intelligence annalist. Someone who's taken the oath, has the clearance, and god damn meant it. I understand that the proper place for a military power lies under civilian rule, one doesn't need a second crossing of the Rubicon to reiterate that fact. As a G-2 analyst, I can see this whole thing from a different perspective. One cannot blame a man for committing himself to his purpose, one can only blame a man for shunning his oath, his brethren, and his loyalty. The reporter will do what reporters do, that is their profession. Marines will do what must be done, that is our profession. One ARMY soldier sold his soul to feed a reporter's career One of these men is a traitor. PFC Bradley is the traitor, the reporter just did what reporters do.

Mr. Assange did his firggin' job. Just like I or you do your job everyday. He aired the stories he was given, while he knew there would be blow-back. He acted honorably within his profession. PFC Manning, on the other hand, didn't do his job, and he's brought great shame upon the U.S. Military and it's associated services. I just can't see how people consider Mr. Assange a traitor for doing his duty as a reporter, while PFC Manning is given the easy street for completely failing to be the man the U.S. Military trusted him to be.

If PFC Manning were my Marine, I'd put him on the block myself.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."

Classified documents do not lose their classification if it falls into the hands of civilians Malloc.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Classified documents do not lose their classification if it falls into the hands of civilians Malloc.
    Yes, as a matter of fact it does. Need to know, and classification are military stipulations. You should look into that. Civilian agents have their own classification. Most especially when it comes to a civilian of a different national origin.