Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tebow's devotion to faith divides Broncos fans 
    Tebow's devotion to faith divides Broncos fans

By Electa Draper
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 08/04/2010 01:00:00 AM MDTUpdated: 08/04/2010 06:50:58 AM MDT

Broncos rookie quarterback Tim Tebow signs Nikki Spender's replica Tebow jersey Tuesday at Dove Valley. Spender, a 19-year-old from Parker, was one of the many Tebow fans at the morning practice. (John Leyba, The Denver Post)Michelle Olson calls herself the anti-Tebow.

She is a diehard Broncos fan but has no love in her heart for its limelight-stealing sensation, rookie quarterback and evangelical everyman Tim Tebow.

"He's a big distraction and has done nothing to prove he's NFL material," the 25-year-old Fort Collins woman said Tuesday morning at Broncos training camp in Dove Valley.

It's Tebow's eagerness to share his Christian values and beliefs that really irks her.

"That's why I hate him," she said.

"That's why I adore him," said Jennifer Longmore, 26, of Loveland, who quickly adds that "it's a miracle" she and Olson are good friends.

Tebow is the only player on the team whose name Longmore knows.

"It's my personal opinion that if you don't have a uterus, you don't have a right to express an opinion about abortion," Olson snapped.

"You did not just go there," Longmore said.

Tebow, a former University of Florida Gator, is perhaps as well-known for his custom of inscribing Scripture chapters and verses under his eyes as he was for winning a Heisman Trophy.

Then he filmed a Super Bowl TV ad for the Colorado Springs conservative ministry Focus on the Family, for which he and his mother extolled family virtues and made subtle reference to her decision to give birth to him, her "miracle baby," rather than end her life-threatening pregnancy during her Christian mission overseas.

"If he wants to preach his values, he can do it at church and not at Mile High stadium," Olson said.

"I think he's absolutely great testimony, and I'm glad he was not aborted in the missionary field," Longmore said.

It probably was a long ride home to northern Colorado for them.

Unquestionably happy about Tebow, the large evangelical Christian community in the state sees him as the perfect role model for sports-crazed children.

"We are excited he's here in town," said Robin Gentry, a 38-year-old mother of three from Centennial who identifies herself as an evangelical Christian.

"He's not afraid to talk about his faith or show people what he believes," Gentry said. "I like him as a person. I like his integrity."

Dillon Meyers, an 11-year-old from Littleton, is, like many people, wearing Tebow's No. 15 jersey.

"I think he's going to be good. I like that he looks up to people and believes in God," Dillon said.

His grandfather, Ron Woitalewicz, said he approves of Dillon's looking up to Tebow.

"His character, his work ethic and beliefs make him special," Woitalewicz said. "We're Catholic. People are excited about his devotion and faith. In an age of flamboyant NFL players, he's grounded. It's not all about him."

There are other pro athletes out there who are like that, Woitalewicz said, "but he's just more open about it."
    The Denver Post

Power CUer
    Is he a good football player? Isn't that what the team got him for?
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Is he a good football player? Isn't that what the team got him for?
    He's considered the best college quarterback of all time. How he does in the pros may be a different story but I suspect he'll do just fine.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

"It's my personal opinion that if you don't have a uterus, you don't have a right to express an opinion about abortion," Olson snapped.
    It's my opinion that you have to play football to have opinions on football players then. STUPID C**T! :mad:
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Do the people who object to him using verses like he does also object to players that cover themselves in gang related tats?

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Do the people who object to him using verses like he does also object to players that cover themselves in gang related tats?
    That was sort of my thought too. How many football players have criminal records, are involved in gangs, objectify women, engage in drug activity, etc.?

And yet, you have this one guy who is unashamedly Christian and values life and he's the controversial one.

He's also really hawt. Just thought I'd point that out. :D

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    It's my opinion that you have to play football to have opinions on football players then. STUPID C**T! :mad:
    Excellent. :D

She does sound like a real see-you-next-tuesday doesn't she?

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I'm sorry but if I have sex with a woman and she becomes pregnant, that child is just as much mine as hers. she was a willing participant, any consequences are both of ours, as is the baby. the courts say that after the kid is born, i don't get why it's that way before too. I'm sick of the attitude that doesn't take the father's feelings into the equation

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    He's also really hawt. Just thought I'd point that out. :D
    :eek: COUGAR!! :p