Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Summer of no love 
    Summer of no love

By GLENN THRUSH | 8/4/10 4:32 AM EDT Updated: 8/4/10 3:03 PM EDT

On Monday, President Barack Obama recommitted to ending the combat mission in Iraq by the end of this month, a milestone that seemed nearly unattainable in 2008 — and seems nearly unnoticed in 2010.

Ending the war in Iraq was Obama’s central campaign promise two years ago, so the announcement should have been a huge deal. But by mid-Monday, the story drooped like a limp flag on news websites, sliding below obituaries of bandleader Mitch Miller.

That’s how it’s been going lately for Obama as he tries to thread the narrowest of political needles: Reminding voters of what he’s done right, with the vast majority of them angry about what’s going wrong.

Obama’s first-term accomplishments are piling up, capped by the health care overhaul and the recent passage of a sweeping financial reform bill. Yet, at the same time, his approval ratings have fallen to fresh lows, prompting one prominent ally of the president’s to quip, “Worst-case scenario? You’re looking at the best one-term president in the history of the United States” before quickly adding, “Kidding!”

The summer of 2009 belonged to the tea parties, but the Obama administration had good reason to hope it would have some summer fun this year. It was supposed to be one big pivot point: The economic arrows would all finally head upward, voters would recognize Obama’s historic legislative victories, and the withdrawal of most troops from Iraq would provide a dramatic exclamation point, energizing the party’s liberal base heading into the midterms.

Instead, it’s turned into Obama’s Summer of No Love, thanks to the persistently lousy economy, a succession of major crises and middling distractions — from the BP oil spill to Gen. Stanley McChrystal’s insubordination, to the Shirley Sherrod fiasco — and the ascent of virulently anti-Obama cable-news critics like Glenn Beck and Sarah Palin.

“I think we’re on a different kind of a news cycle than what I’ve been used to … And a lot of that commentary is very inflammatory,” said Iowa Democrat Tom Harkin, a liberal Obama ally in the Senate.

“It appeals to the emotional distress that people may have. Now, we’ve had people like that in the past, don’t get me wrong. We had our Huey Longs and our Father Coughlins and our Joe McCarthys — there has always been somebody like that — but they never had a big pulpit. They never had a big audience. Now, the Glenn Becks have a big audience. And so they stir up these passions in people. And if you’re hurting, you’re out of work, sometimes they can appeal to people like that, that are anxious and worried about their future.”

But some fellow Democrats say that’s nonsense. Obama is responsible for his own troubles by pushing for a glittering legislative legacy in lieu of a laser focus on creating jobs. There has been grumbling and tension among his supporters in Congress — including House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, who was angered by White House press secretary Robert Gibbs’s assessment that the Democrats could lose House seats this fall.

Read more: http://www.politico.com/news/stories...#ixzz0vkGJYKp9

Banned
    Just wait until the "Summer of Contempt and Disdain" next year and the "Summer of Unbridled Hatred" the year after that.

They keep mentioning these legislative "victories" but they represent legislation that nobody wanted. It doesn't matter how many things you pushed through congress if the people don't want them. It just shows you how out of touch government is with the people when the President and Congress are more concerned with passing laws than they are with passing laws that the majority of people want. Why should I celebrate Arod hitting his 600th home run, if I don't care about Arod to begin with.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    They keep mentioning these legislative "victories" but they represent legislation that nobody wanted. It doesn't matter how many things you pushed through congress if the people don't want them.
    Ya, cause everybody was so against wall street reform and Tax Cuts..... NOT

Get real.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanicus View Post

Get real.
    First of all there are no tax cuts that we're negated by extra costs in other areas. My paycheck and outgo hasn't reflected any tax cuts. Also very few people and states are happy about the health care reform... seriously dude read something other than msnbc. I suspect that when the Wall Street reform trickles down to the average person they are going to like it even less than health care reform.

It is sad that someone of you seeming intellectual potential chooses to view the world from such a myopic perspective.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Get real.
    Aw, look. The rabid fanboi is back to defend his man-love for his messiah.

Got news for ya dickhead. That "wall street reform" bill you mention, isn't nearly as popular as you believe with all your widdle hopey changey heart. What you and your man-love Obama dont' understand is that we proletariats aren't quite as stupid as your messiah thinks we are.

Not that you have the ability or will actually read any facts:

Quote Originally Posted by Rasmussen Reports
    Additionally, 49% say it would be better for the United States financial system to have more competition and less regulation. Just 30% take the opposite view and prefer more regulation and less competition.

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...oo_big_to_fail
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasmussen Reports
    Does Obama’s new “reform” legislation address this fundamental problem?

Of course not. In fact, in addition to imposing a slew of new regulations on banks that had nothing to do with the crisis, Obama’s new law maintains the same strict government-mandated lending quotas as before. Accordingly, while Main Street lenders (which provide capital to small businesses across America) are forced to navigate a maze of new regulations and restrictions, the real culprits of the disaster are not only going unpunished – they are being allowed to conduct business as usual while receiving a steady stream of taxpayer-funded bailout money.

Obviously, this is a recipe for an even bigger disaster in the future – as is the law’s “proxy access” provision, which will permit labor unions, environmental activists and “community organizing” groups to bypass existing state laws on corporate director elections and place their representatives on corporate boards of directors. And far from ending bailouts for private sector firms (as Obama has promised) the law’s “orderly liquidation” provision permits the secretive Federal Reserve to seize control of any firm that it deems a threat to “financial stability” – opening the door to bailouts of companies that aren’t even asking for taxpayer largesse.

Make no mistake – this new law is a dramatic escalation of America’s “march to Marxism.”

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/publ...rch_to_marxism
    Does it hurt to be so in love with such a loser like Obama?
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    First of all there are no tax cuts that we're negated by extra costs in other areas.
    WRONG. The Stimulus contained massive tax cuts.

My paycheck and outgo hasn't reflected any tax cuts.
    WRONG again.

The tax cuts started showing up on paychecks in April of 2009 , If you worked you would know.

The tax cuts started showing up on paychecks in April of 2009 , If you worked you would know.
    What are you, his accountant? Are you telling him on what's on his paychecks? Why don't you tell us what tax cut is on your paycheck? Oh, wait, you have no life skills and don't work. Did your mom do heroin when she was pregnant with you?

"In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

WRONG. The Stimulus contained massive tax cuts.

WRONG again.

Are you saying that you know how much I paid in taxes in 2009? I bet you don't. I also know that a larger percentage was removed my my 2009 income than was removed from my 2008 income and that is a fact.

The No-Discernible Stimulus package did nothing but cut taxes or stimulate the economy and today's economic crisis is proof. Higher unemployment, housing starts in the pits, existing home sales at rock bottom, foreclosures at unheard of levels, retail sales tanking... etc. Yep that stimulus package sure did a lot to help the people of this country

C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Did your mom do heroin when she was pregnant with you?
    Stupidicus is a prime example of what happened when his mom didn't swallow.
    Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf