1. #1 5 Annoying Trends That Make Every Movie Look the Same 
    Hollywood: the dream factory, the place where joy is made and everybody craps rainbows and cocaine. But underneath the glitz is a bunch of working stiffs who are either just trying to get the job done, or hacks who get their original ideas by ripping off other hacks.

That's why these days...
    #5.
    Movies are Color-Coded by Genre

Have You Ever Noticed:

There's some unwritten rule that horror movies should be blue:

The Ring

Saw

The Nightmare on Elm Street reboot.

Meanwhile, apocalyptic movies are gray and washed out:

Then there are more subtle ones, for instance movies set in the desert tend to be yellow. And we don't mean when they're out in the sun and sand, either. Even when indoors it'll often look like it was filmed through a jar of urine:

Smokin' Aces (Las Vegas)

The Hills Have Eyes (rural Nevada)

Movies where reality is off-kilter will be green:

Fight Club

The Matrix films, aka The Greenest Movies Ever Made

Honestly, half the time you can guess the genre of the film based on one still from the trailer.

What's Going On?

It's called digital color correction. Back in the day, if you wanted your movie to have an artistic, stylish color palette, you had to go through the pain in the ass process of using filters on your lights and camera, or get the footage exposed just the right way. It was expensive, it was difficult and it was limited to people who really knew what they were doing. So if someone took the trouble, it meant they had a good reason, dammit.

Now? If you're a Hollywood director, with a few clicks of the mouse you can immediately look stylish and artsy by making the audience feel like they're watching your movie through a pair of novelty sunglasses. Hell, if you've got a Mac and a thousand bucks, you can get a color-correction program and give your home movie of a toddler farting on a cat an otherworldly green tint.
    Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18664...#ixzz0vq5asLva

I noticed the other day, while watching our "The Maltese Falcon" DVD recorded off of TCM, that there were no computer generated images.........

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Tron. Sweet:
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

#2.Faking the Documentary Look, Even When it's Not a Documentary

Have You Ever Noticed:

We're not talking about movies that have actual documentary elements (aka Cloverfield), but rather little touches designed to make you think what you're seeing was filmed by a fly-on-wall documentarian with a handheld camera, rather than a gigantic film crew on a sound stage. Even when it makes absolutely no sense for that to be the case.

Even worse, they do this by painstakingly inserting elements that used to be considered embarrassing mistakes.

You've no doubt noticed the painfully obvious "shaky cam" that's so popular these days, where they jerk the camera around the action so you can't tell who's punching who (as if we're supposed to think the opening battle in Gladiator was being shot by some time-traveling war correspondent, and one of the side effects of time travel is apparently severe loss of muscular control).
    This is my number one crazy-making technical criticism of movies today. That whole shaky cam thing doesn't make me feel like the shot is more real - it makes it seem less real. With the steadicam shots I can forget about the fakeness and just enjoy the experience of the movie. With the docu-dummy shots, all I think about is how hopelessly spastic the camera guy is. :mad:

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18664...#ixzz0vqPqD2oj

...and computer generated imagery is all about fakeness. It's so obvious.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

That's partly why I like older movies so much. My favorite movie of all time is The Lion In Winter, from the 60s. The blue sky is the real blue sky, the light in the outdoor scenes is pretty close to natural, and the actors look their ages and not overly glamourized.