Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Anger mounts over Michelle Obama's £150k Spanish holiday bill... footed by taxpayers 
    Anger mounts over Michelle Obama's £150k Spanish holiday bill... footed by U.S. taxpayer

By Mail Foreign Service
    Last updated at 3:25 PM on 6th August 2010

Michelle Obama today faced a fresh wave of attacks over her lavish break in Spain with 40 friends which has cost U.S. taxpayers tens of thousands of pounds. The First Lady has been lambasted for her extravagance at a time when the economy is still struggling. One blogger went so far as to brand her a modern-day Marie Antoinette.

The exact cost of the trip is unclear as Mrs Obama, 46, and her friends are footing personal expenses - including accommodation at Marbella's five-star Hotel Villa Padierna - themselves. But the taxpayer will have to pick up the tab for the First Lady's 68-strong security detail, her personal staff - and the use of presidential jet Air Force Two.

The cost of accommodating the secret service team runs at around £172 each a day which amounts to nearly £60,000 for the length of the summer break. Use of Air Force Two, the Air Force version of a 757, comes in at £91,900 for the round trip. This does not include time on the ground.

The American public will also cover the cost of the only official part of the holiday, a visit to the Spanish royal family on the island of Majorca. A conservative estimate puts the total amount at around £150,000.

Back in the U.S., anger was mounting - especially as it has emerged the First Lady will have enjoyed eight holidays by the end of the summer.

These include a trip to Los Angeles in June, a visit to the Florida's oil-hit Gulf Coast next weekend and a ten-day trip to Martha's Vineyard later this month.

White House press secretary Robin Gibbs was asked at a briefing if there were any concerns about how the visit was being viewed by the public. 'The First Lady is on a private trip,' he said. 'She is a private citizen and is the mother of a daughter on a private trip. I think I'd leave it at that.'

Yesterday New York Daily News columnist and blogger Andrea Tantaros likened the President’s wife to French queen Marie Antoinette, who was famously extravagant with her spending.

Tantaros wrote: ‘To be clear, what the Obamas do with their money is one thing; what they do with ours is another. Transporting and housing the estimated 70 Secret Service agents who will flank the material girl will cost the taxpayers a pretty penny.’
    They really are tone-deaf.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/worl...#ixzz0vqUL5lFB

Power CUer
    And people here were huffy about Chelsea's wedding.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    The Clinton wedding was their own business as far as I'm concerned. This is something else.

On the other hand, between the golfing and the vacations, at least the Obamas don't have the time to do even more damage. :D

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    the Clinton wedding was more about them just being dumb with their money.

This is the people being pissed about the Obama's spending taxpayers money like drunken sailors. 8 vacations in 2 years, numerous parties with big stars that are all paid out of the taxpayers pocket books

C'mon, the poor woman hasn't had a vacation in over a week.

When you think about it, this is the worst PR possible short of Barry banging an intern.

Unemployment is still over 10% (i don't give a sh*t what the govt's bs numbers say, it hasn't dropped below 10%. How have you "employed" people who work for the census for a few months?)

Inflation is looming. The economy is on it's back. But yet this c*nt is off galavanting around Spain like she's Lady Godiva. It makes me want to vomit.

SIDE NOTE : If they're spending their own millions, I don't mind. I'm miffed that they're living it up while we're tightening our belts, but they have every right to live lavishly. BUT....when they use tax dollars for transportation and lodging of SS agents...then thats bull sh*t.
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

My personal favorite so far has been the day he called on federal workers to curb travel in these challenging times... the same day they used a special flight to deliver the first dog to him on vacation. :D

What the hell does she need all of that security for? All she'd have to do is go all Wookie on their ass and any attacker would run off crying like . . . . well like Satanacus.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by asdf2231 View Post
    My personal favorite so far has been the day he called on federal workers to curb travel in these challenging times... the same day they used a special flight to deliver the first dog to him on vacation. :D
    Are you begrudging the first dawg its right to having a private jet? Next thing you know you will be denying it Kobe beef.
    Last edited by Gingersnap; 08-06-2010 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Beefy.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Are you begrudging the first dawg its right to having a private jet? Next thing you know you will be denying it Kobe beef.
    Well, they could have gotten a hell of a lot better looking pooch at the pound for free. That thang they got is ugly.