Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Monday Hair Cuts 
    Hot, Hot, Hot.

TOTD: Where do you get your hair cut? Do you go to a chain or a local owned shop. For the men, do you go to a salon or a barber. For me, I go to an old timey barber who has been in the same little shop for 40+ years. He even still shaves your neck with a straight razor. IMO, real men go to barbers.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Hot, Hot, Hot.

TOTD: Where do you get your hair cut? Do you go to a chain or a local owned shop. For the men, do you go to a salon or a barber. For me, I go to an old timey barber who has been in the same little shop for 40+ years. He even still shaves your neck with a straight razor. IMO, real men go to barbers.
    Hair?

When I'm at home I do it myself. The barber on baes charges $10 before tip to use a pair of trimmers on my head. No thank you. I pay the barbershop here while I'm deployed. It's only $5 for one here, and a $3 tip to the workers is like an entire days pay to someone off base.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

TOTD: depends on what's convenient.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    I have been going to a local owned barber shop for a couple of years. He does a good job. My previous barber for 30 plus years retired and went into the real estate business with his wife. He did a great job on my kind, alligator hair.

We'll be in the 80s with storms today but drying out a little later.

TOTD: My hair stylist is also a friend I've known for years and years. I go about 3 or 4 times a year to get my hair trimmed and listen to her pitch me all the hair treatments I'll never buy. I have long, curly hair and I wear it up most of the time so I don't need a lot of "treatments". I embrace the curliness and avoid all the straightening gimmicks. Since I can wear it up a lot of different ways, it's versatile.

Power CUer
    I have short hair; Hair Cuttery works for me.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I keep mine real short. I cut in myself with a hair trimmer and a number 2 guard.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

A little cooler today, still under 100. This is the last day of my 4 day weekend.

TOTD: I bounce around a little when it comes to haircuts. When I first moved to Nevada I ended up going out with the girl that was the first to cut my hair. That was about six girlfriends ago. :p

I used to really like barber shops but they are not the same here as they were in Illinois. My last few cuts have been at SuperCuts. They do a nice job and always get me in and out pretty quickly. It costs a little more but I don't mind.

My barber shop, well, think of Floyd's barber shop in Mayberry. Interesting side note. There was a good report on the Albany news a few years ago.

November 4, 2003

Tifton-- Political candidates often hire expensive polling companies to check the pulse of voters. But they could just ask a man who seems to know who will win.

Near a barber pole, political polling takes place before every general election. Ive always been real interested in politics and who was representing us, says Hollis Flanders, a barber for 42 years. He decided one day to start talking politics with his customers, many who vote regularly.

I dont pick sides; I dont campaign for anyone, says Flanders as six men wait for their cut.

Often, his customers get in spirited political discussions, and he keeps mental notes about their thoughts and compares them with other opinions. His customers find the barbershop a safe place to talk, a natural, ongoing conversation topic since he has a steady stream of customers throughout the day.

Hollis uses a simple method to get people to express themselves. I try to get people talking close to an election, and then I listen, says Flanders. He didnt know it at the time, but he started making a name for himself in political circles.

What started out as a joke has turned into something serious. A local radio reporter asked him to predict winners of various races 25 years ago. Hollis predicted the winner of every race, 100% accuracy, and a new pollster was born.

His success rate soared, going on to predict winners in 136 national, state, district and local races. I think Ive missed one in all the elections Ive called, and it was a city council election. He thought enough voters didnt know the winning candidate. That missed call ruined a perfect record. Missing one out of 136 races over a quarter of a century amounts to an accuracy rate of 99.3%.

http://www.walb.com/global/Story.asp?s=1510756
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad