1. #1 8 Westerners on Medical Team Killed in Afghanistan 
    Sean Maroney | Islamabad 07 August 2010

Taliban Claims Responsibility for Killing 'Christian Missionaries'
    6 Americans on Medical Team Killed in Afghanistan

An international Christian charity said Saturday that militants killed part of its 12-member medical team, including six Americans, one German, one Briton and two Afghan interpreters, in a remote area of northern Afghanistan.

Officials with the group International Assistance Mission say the members of the medical team, including women, were killed while returning to Kabul from an eye clinic in the northern Nuristan province.

The Taliban claimed responsibility for the attack. A Taliban spokesman told news agencies that they killed the members of the group because they were Christian missionaries.

One Afghan traveling with the group said the attackers spared him after he recited passages from the Koran and said he was a Muslim.

The director of International Assistance Mission Dirk Frans denies the Taliban's accusations that the members of his group were missionaries. He says they were on a peaceful mission to help people in a remote area of Afghanistan.

"We had no security people," said Frans. "We actually are a humanitarian agency. We don't have any armed guards. We allow no weapons at all."

While the group's website says it is a Christian organization and cites a "dependency on God" as one of its core values, it notes that the group does not discriminate in giving aid nor uses it to further a particular political or religious standpoint.

The website says International Assistance Mission started working in Afghanistan in 1966 at the request of the government to focus on eye care. Its mission has since expanded to helping with renewable energy, primary mental health care, physiotherapy, teaching English and community development.

Authorities discovered the bullet-ridden bodies Friday. Local officials say the attack happened in a dense forest in Badakhshan province. Villagers had warned the group that the forest was dangerous.

In an interview with The Associated Press, Frans said the group had decided to travel through Badakhshan province to return to the capital because they thought that would be the safest route.

Shams-ur-Rehman Shams, deputy governor for Badakhshan province, says that the security situation in Badakhshan used to be really good, but in the last few months, they have had rising levels of insecurity. But despite the violence, he says Afghan forces have been able to kill some insurgents.

Levels of violence in Afghanistan have reached their highest levels since the U.S.-led invasion toppled the Taliban government in late 2001. July was the deadliest month for U.S. forces in Afghanistan with 66 American troops confirmed killed.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    In 2000, the US gave Afghanistan over $100 million in emergency food aid. In 2001, the Afghans provided a safe haven for al Qaeda as they plotted the murder of 3,000 Americans and refused to hand them over after the deed was done, choosing invasion and destruction. The Islamist fanatics who started this war see kindness as, at best, irrelevent, and at worst, weakness to be exploited.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

It'll be interesting to see some peoples take on this given some discussions lately about "turning the other cheek".
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    It'll be interesting to see some peoples take on this given some discussions lately about "turning the other cheek".
    I'm always willing to turn the other cheek. Just let me unbutton my pants and turn around... :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Since this was directed at me, more or less, I'll step up to the plate.

I am certain that these people knew that being murdered was a potential outcome, especially since they were dealing with an insane belief system like Islam. I feel for the families and I pray for them. My heart goes out to those who are lost and to those left behind to grieve those lost.

My opinion on these matters haven't changed. I leave it to God to do as He sees fit. Maybe they will die at the hands of the U.S. military, maybe the will seek God's forgiveness and turn themselves in to the authorities, perhaps this will cause the Afghan people who have lost out on medical care will rise up against these enemies of God. No matter what happens God is still in control and all things happen for a purpose even if we can't see what it is.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis