Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Former Rep. Tancredo has no intention of quitting Colo. governor's race 
    Former Rep. Tancredo has no intention of quitting Colo. governor's race
    By Shane D'Aprile - 08/11/10 04:02 PM ET

The open feud between former Rep. Tom Tancredo and the Colorado Republican Party is intensifying in the wake of Tuesday's Republican primary for governor.

On Tuesday, businessman Dan Maes defeated former Rep. Scott McInnis (R-Colo.) by a slim margin in a primary that was marked by a McInnis plagiarism scandal.

In November, Maes will face Democrat John Hickenlooper and Tancredo, who is running under the banner of the American Constitution Party.

On Wednesday, Colorado's GOP Chair Dick Wadhams called the governor's race "a very difficult one" for Republicans and took aim at Tancredo.

"Tom Tancredo makes it unwinnable if he remains a third-party candidate," Wadhams said. "That's the way the race stands right now."

The bombastic former congressman fired back Wednesday accusing Wadhams of trying to blame him for the state party's woes.

"He just wants to shift the blame from him and the party onto me," Tancredo said in an interview with The Hill. "I have a better chance of winning in a three-way race than Maes has in a two-way race."

Last month, Tancredo and Wadhams got into a screaming match on a Colorado radio show over the direction of the state party, with Wadhams accusing Tancredo of launching the bid simply to divide Republicans. "What are you going to talk about?" Wadhams asked. "Impeach Obama and bomb Mecca?"

Tancredo jumped into the governor's race a few weeks ago after declaring that neither Republican contender could win the general election. "They are the ones that made this race unwinnable," Tancredo said.

Given his actions, it certainly appears that Tancredo couldn't care less what happens to the Republican Party in his state. But a feud in a critical swing state like Colorado doesn't bode well for the party.
    This is a huge deal out here. The political machine people (on both sides) are certain that Tancredo can't win. I'm not so sure. In Colorado, you only have to win by one vote to take it all. There's a lot of resentment against Republicans for always running RINOS and a lot of resentment against the Looper for being down on oil and gas and soft on crime and illegal immigration.

The Hill

The Republican Party, and its derivatives, are in the process of handing the western United States to the Democrats for a generation.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    The Republican Party, and its derivatives, are in the process of handing the western United States to the Democrats for a generation.
    You're always such a little ray of sunshine, Oreo.

The sense I get from talking with people is that both the Republicans and the Democrats are seen as corrupt games-players. The Republicans are castigated for veering from their principles and promoting RINOs while the Democrats are seen as tyrants and thugs.

If Tancredo didn't run, it's unlikely that Republicans could take the the governor's office back anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    You're always such a little ray of sunshine, Oreo.

The sense I get from talking with people is that both the Republicans and the Democrats are seen as corrupt games-players. The Republicans are castigated for veering from their principles and promoting RINOs while the Democrats are seen as tyrants and thugs.

If Tancredo didn't run, it's unlikely that Republicans could take the the governor's office back anyway.
    In my opinion, the current debate over the 14th Amendment is another Republican Schiavo; a bridge too far. Not only is it making the Center (where elections are won and lost) think twice about the Republican Party, it is ensuring the rising Hispanic demographic will eschew those who question their very citizenship.

In my opinion, the current debate over the 14th Amendment is another Republican Schiavo; a bridge too far. Not only is it making the Center (where elections are won and lost) think twice about the Republican Party, it is ensuring the rising Hispanic demographic will eschew those who question their very citizenship.
    That particular debate isn't on the radar out here as much as you might think. While a lot of people think the 14th amendment needs to be retooled, they are more interested in Tancredo's other issues: detangling TABOR, creating jobs, and working to minimize illegal immigration.

Illegal immigration is a big deal for us. Even the Looper's cheerleaders are trying to get eVerify in place for Denver. Many Colorado communities are preparing local legislation to crack down on identity fraud, insurance fraud, and immigration fraud. People have had enough.

Besides, everybody I know is favor of legalizing weed.

All the Democrats out here want is more illegal immigration (expands social services), even more education funding (we already have a bank-breaking annual education funding increase scheme), more regulation on gas, oil, and agriculture, and more regulation/fees on small businesses.

Do you think the Republican share of the Latino/Hispanic vote would ever rise very far without full amnesty? The Democrats have pretty much primed them to the point where they aren't willing to accept any kind of compromise. Why those who played by the rules and obtained citizenship legally would be in favor or rewarding lawbreakers is hard to figure out.

Well then those hispanic voters should get up off their asses - learn English and fight against the continuing invasion force coming across our southern border. Interestingly my hispanic uncle worked for the border patrol in NM and Texas for decades and he's never once had anyone question his citizenship - and he is VERY MUCH in support of the Arizona law.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    I don't think the 14th Amendment needs to be re-tooled. I think it simply needs proper interpretation.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Right now, the center is repelled by Obama's economic agenda, his lack of patriotism, his failure to respond to crises and his preening, insufferable arrogance. The Democratic Party, which has functioned as the enabler to his conduct, is bearing the brunt of that revulsion. As for Latinos, Harry Reid's imbecilic comment seems to be galvanizing them against the Democrats, who have taken them for granted for far too long.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

And the Democratic Party and it's derivatives are in the process of handing the GOP the federal government. What's your point moonbat?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.