Hybrid View

1. #1 Conservative London Mayor Boris Johnson 
    Goldwater
    The board was down when he won wasn't it? What do you guys think of him?

Vepr
    I have been remiss in my attention to western politics outside of the US. I do not know anything about him at the moment but now I am interested that he won. Is he a conservative in the vein of "average or normal" European conservatives or a true conservative?

Goldwater
    He is fairly conservative, I mean no one can really go back to Thatcher in this environment, but the man has the right ideas. He has already started cutting back on the last mayor's pork (which was A LOT since the guy was literally a communist, I'm not even exaggerating). I think he is going to devolve more functions to local councils so that less decisions rest with suits in the center of London and more to people who live on the streets that'll be effected.

Vepr
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldwater View Post
    He is fairly conservative, I mean no one can really go back to Thatcher in this environment, but the man has the right ideas. He has already started cutting back on the last mayor's pork (which was A LOT since the guy was literally a communist, I'm not even exaggerating). I think he is going to devolve more functions to local councils so that less decisions rest with suits in the center of London and more to people who live on the streets that'll be effected.

Sounds like a good start. How are his changes being recieved so far by his constituent's? I am guessing the media is spinning on their eyebrows. :)

Goldwater
    He banned drinking on the underground (subway) and everyone had a huge party on it the day before it came into effect and pissed off some people, but I think it is a good start.

Vepr
    Thank you for bringing him to our attention. It is exactly posts like this that make the internet so enjoyable and informative.