Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 SF To Ban Happy Meals? 
    Happy Meals: Does McDonald's lure kids unfairly?
    Happy Meals have been a part of McDonald's menu for three decades. Now, San Francisco is considering a ban on the toys in Happy Meals.

By Laurent Belsie / August 13, 2010

A bottled water ban? OK. No more regular Coke and Pepsi in government vending machines? All right, if we have to. But no more Happy Meals?

.That's the ban that San Francisco is mulling over. Some city supervisors say the toys in McDonald's Happy Meals unfairly lure children to eat unhealthy food.

McDonald's has launched a spirited defense of the iconic meals, which have been part of the chain's menu since 1979, more than 30 years. The meals are a way to draw families to its restaurants, a key demographic for a global chain hungry for customers.

(snip)

Now, San Francisco's suggested ban is getting attention and stirring a backlash from critics, who call it unwanted interference by a nanny government. Parents should make meal decisions for their children, not government, they say.

McDonald's CEO, Jim Skinner, argued along the same lines in his written response to CSPI: "Our customer websites and phone lines at McDonald's are also busy, with more than nine out of ten customers disagreeing with your agenda. Parents, in particular, strongly believe they have the right and responsibility to decide what's best for their children, not CSPI," he wrote.

"It seems that you purposefully skewed your evaluation of our Happy Meals by putting them in the context of a highly conservative 1,300 calorie per day requirement," he added. "I'm sure you know this category generally applies to the youngest and most sedentary children."
    I don't have kids and my parents were completely immune to begging and whining. Parents, help me out here: do your kids want a burger and fries or do they beg for the toy? Would your kid happily chow down on broccoli and steamed fish if came with a Shrek toy?

CS Monitor

my youngest nephew always wants to go to "donalds house" because he LOVES french fries. He'd eat them with every meal if my sister let him.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    my youngest nephew always wants to go to "donalds house" because he LOVES french fries. He'd eat them with every meal if my sister let him.
    So, it's not the toy?

What is it with these people? I don't even think that a ban is even legal in this case...
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    So, it's not the toy?
    Nope. He's just as happy to go to Wendy's or even Burger King. It's the fries he's after.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Nope. He's just as happy to go to Wendy's or even Burger King. It's the fries he's after.
    Their fries ain't near bout as good as McDonalds.
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    Personally I like Arby's fries the best.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    That's the only thing I like. B.K. beats them hands down on breakfast and burgers.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    That's the only thing I like. B.K. beats them hands down on breakfast and burgers.
    BK does have MUCH better burgers.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Hardee's has the absolute best breakfast.

Every time, without fail. Barr none. Check Mate.:D
    I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad