Thread: Gold

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfor View Post
    I think if the SHTF that bullets would end up being a better investment.
    Bullets are finite too. :p
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

People were paid market value (face value) for their gold coins, which were actual circulated currency during "the great confiscation of 1933" but the kicker is that gold was revalued (from $20/oz to $30/oz I think) after the government recalled it.

I don't know if it would even be worth their effort to confiscate gold bullion from the tiny fraction of the population who owns any today. They'll probably just tax the living daylights out of it so they'll end up with most of the profits in the end anyway. Not to mention that no one would comply. Many people didn't comply back in 1933.

I used to own some gold and then there was a terrible boating accident... That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tecate View Post
    People were paid market value (face value) for their gold coins, which were actual circulated currency during "the great confiscation of 1933" but the kicker is that gold was revalued (from $20/oz to $30/oz I think) after the government recalled it.

I don't know if it would even be worth their effort to confiscate gold bullion from the tiny fraction of the population who owns any today. They'll probably just tax the living daylights out of it so they'll end up with most of the profits in the end anyway. Not to mention that no one would comply. Many people didn't comply back in 1933.

I used to own some gold and then there was a terrible boating accident... That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Maybe. Based on the precedent, I am less sure. I still wonder if gold is not better thought of as an 'uber' emergency fund, which is how refugees and emigrants in the last half century or more have viewed it (in the form of jewelry, etc.). I dunno. That's why I posed the question.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Maybe. Based on the precedent, I am less sure. I still wonder if gold is not better thought of as an 'uber' emergency fund, which is how refugees and emigrants in the last half century or more have viewed it (in the form of jewelry, etc.). I dunno. That's why I posed the question.
    I think my main point was that gold was actual "money" then whereas today it is a commodity. What if you have bars? How could they confiscate those, or much less even know about their existence? What if you have foreign gold coins? I have a bunch. South African Kruggerands, Canadian maples, Australian Kangaroos, Mexican 50 Pesos, Swiss Francs, etc. How could the government demand that you turn in gold coins not even minted in the US?

I'm not going to worry about it. If they try to do it an underground black market will immediately emerge.

Supposedly, Fort Knox is loaded with gold bars, but it hasn't been audited in decades. Who really knows for sure?

I think my main point was that gold was actual "money" then whereas today it is a commodity. What if you have bars? How could they confiscate those, or much less even know about their existence? What if you have foreign gold coins? I have a bunch. South African Kruggerands, Canadian maples, Australian Kangaroos, Mexican 50 Pesos, Swiss Francs, etc. How could the government demand that you turn in gold coins not even minted in the US?

I'm not going to worry about it. If they try to do it an underground black market will immediately emerge.

Supposedly, Fort Knox is loaded with gold bars, but it hasn't been audited in decades. Who really knows for sure?

I hear ya, but I think whatever gold you have better be portable (sounds like yours is). I think that unless the gold is in your personal possession (personal safe/cache, safe deposit box, etc.), then it too is just flammable paper.

I hear ya, but I think whatever gold you have better be portable (sounds like yours is). I think that unless the gold is in your personal possession (personal safe/cache, safe deposit box, etc.), then it too is just flammable paper.
    I'm not sure that I would even trust a safe deposit box. it should absolutely be in your possession with no third party associated risks. If you don't hold it, you don't own it.

I'm not sure that I would even trust a safe deposit box. it should absolutely be in your possession with no third party associated risks. If you don't hold it, you don't own it.
    I agree.

Bullets are finite too. :p
    Yes they are, but with the proper investment in brass, lead, powder and reloading equipment... They will last a long time and be worth much more than gold.

Panic investments. Advertising works it seems.

Just invest in health insurance companies now that everyone is required to purchase it you know their stock is going to soar.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jfor View Post
    Yes they are, but with the proper investment in brass, lead, powder and reloading equipment... They will last a long time and be worth much more than gold.
    If the SHTF, a second passport will be worth more than guns or gold. Having investiments offshore (property & bank account) is also a good plan.