Thread: Afghanistan finds 1.8 billion barrel oilfield!

1. #1 Afghanistan finds 1.8 billion barrel oilfield! 
    Locked in a Dungeon, being tortured and LOVING IT!

Afghanistan says finds 1.8 billion barrel oilfield

By Sayed Salahuddin – Sun Aug 15, 2010

KABUL (Reuters) – Afghanistan said on Sunday it had discovered an oilfield with an estimated 1.8 billion barrels in the north of the war-ravaged country, where U.S. and other foreign forces are trying to tame a Taliban-led insurgency.

The discovery of the basin between northern Balkh and Shiberghan provinces was made after a survey conducted by Afghan and international geologists, said Jawad Omar, a spokesman for the ministry of mines.

"I do not know its price in the market. But the initial survey says there are 1.8 billion barrels of oil and I think there will be more than what it is estimated," he told Reuters.

Various estimates of Afghanistan’s hidden wealth have been made in recent years, but the challenge of exploiting the resources in a country at war and with little mining infrastructure is daunting for most investors.

Omar gave no more details on how the estimates were made but said the country will offer the reserves for development along with other minerals in the coming months.

Afghanistan hopes that untapped mineral deposits valued at $3 trillion could help reduce the need to rely on Western cash for bankrolling its impoverished economy and for its soldiers to maintain security when foreign troops draw down numbers…

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100815/...istan_oilfield

Afghanistan is sitting upon $3 trillion dollars worth of mineral wealth. They think this will help stabilize their area with their neighbors. It will help build their econ. but will only cause headaches down the road.
    Rest In Peace America
    July 4, 1776 - January 20, 2009

Good on them. Between this and that other mineral find, they may be able to break their dependancy on poppy plantations for their economy.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Stay tuned, the Dummies will now say this was all about oil.
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." ~ Albert Einstein

Shit, I thought this had become a War for Lithium. Wish I had not thrown away my inventory of War for Oil t-shirts

Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Good on them. Between this and that other mineral find, they may be able to break their dependancy on poppy plantations for their economy.
    I was thinking the same thing too.

With this new resource the Afghan government will be able to drive out both the Taliban and the drug lords; because they know no country or company will want to do business with them if they have these jerkazoids running around.
    CU's Paranormal Expert.

Keep your powder dry, your sword sharp and your wits intact.

Banned
    With security issues, who is going to mine these fields. The Chinese won an iron ore contract 2 years ago and they are still in negotiations. We fight off the aggressors, spill our blood and these fucked up rat hole countries like Iraq and Afghan award contracts to the Chinese, Russians, BP, etc. You know why. They auctions off to the lowest bidder. In a number of these leases in Iraq, the oil companies will be lucky to break even. They get as little as $2 per barrel and incur all cost. Exxon and other US companies did not even bid. Back to Afghan. Don't expect Rio T. or BHP Billiton to mine these fields. In fact, there has been little interest.

I didn't realize they had lost one.

Banned
    Geologists from the US went to Afghan in 2004 and discovered maps that the Russians had made of minerals back in the 80's. Some of these areas are along the Pakistan border in high elevations where there are no roads or railroads. Lack of infrastructure will be a huge hurdle in this region.

I am kinda suspicious of this being touted as a new revelation by our government. It seems phony to me, and looks it is just another reason to stay in this shit hole country forever.