Thread: Federal Judge Rules Missouri's Funeral Protest Ban Unconstitutional

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Federal Judge Rules Missouri's Funeral Protest Ban Unconstitutional 
    Published August 16, 2010

A federal judge has ruled Missouri's ban restricting protests at funerals to be unconstitutional.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...onstitutional/
    Last edited by SaintLouieWoman; 08-19-2010 at 04:55 PM. Reason: Please do not use AP sources.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Published August 16, 2010

| Associated Press

A federal judge has ruled Missouri's ban restricting protests at funerals to be unconstitutional.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010...onstitutional/
    I hate to say it, but the judge had no choice but to rule this way. His hands were tied by the prior rulings of the federal courts.

However, the absence of a state or federal ban on protests doesn't mean that the protesters haven't violated the rights of the families conducting the funerals. That disruption is clearly an invasion of privacy and a deliberate infliction of emotional distress. These are torts, and I'd be very surprised if the Supreme Court didn't find for the plaintiffs.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

I think what would be a good idea would be to rent the land right across the street from the Westboro Baptist Church and put on La Cage.
    "Inequality is a false notion propagated by those who are made to feel guilty for what they have by those who are jealous for what they don't"-Former MTV Host Kennedy

Gunny sacks and baseball bats.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    I think what would be a good idea would be to rent the land right across the street from the Westboro Baptist Church and put on La Cage.
    Or Cabaret :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umhuM3M_mfI
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Funny how there are no gay groups protesting at Westboro. You'd think that putting on a show would be right up their alley. I guess the most prominent gay Soldier in the news is too busy leaking secrets to get incensed over this.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

These goofballs protested at Ford's funeral. They were given a roped off area 3 blocks away, police gaurd, and a public works dump truck parked directly infront of them between their area and the church. They spent 3 hours screaming at the side of a dump truck.

They also protested at a funeral for a local SF soldier. At each area where they would set yp, the homeowners would turn on their lawn sprinklers until the Westboro bunch were a half mile down the road.

I read a while back about a guy who, when Westbro showed up in his home town, decided to set up a table across the street from the Westbro protesters and take donations for various groups that Westbro would oppose. He then sent the Phelps a thank you note showing all the money that they helped raise and to what organizations it was donated to in the name of The Westbro Baptist Church.

Pure genius.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Banned
    Got em here in Key West , a very committed guy who stands on duval with "god hates fags" "god sent the oil" "god hates america"

Saw him get beat up once , the guy went to jail for the assult and got an applause from the tourist crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanicus View Post
    Got em here in Key West , a very committed guy who stands on duval with "god hates fags" "god sent the oil" "god hates america"

Saw him get beat up once , the guy went to jail for the assult and got an applause from the tourist crowd.
    That's understandable. You live at ground zero of homosexual heaven.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis