Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 35
  1. #1 Israel has '8 days' to hit Iran nuclear site: Bolton 
    Israel has '8 days' to hit Iran nuclear site: Bolton


    AFP/File – Israel has "eight days" to launch a military strike against Iran's Bushehr nuclear facility …

    WASHINGTON (AFP) – Israel has "eight days" to launch a military strike against Iran's Bushehr nuclear facility and stop Tehran from acquiring a functioning atomic plant, a former US envoy to the UN has said.

    Iran is to bring online its first nuclear power reactor, built with Russia's help, on August 21, when a shipment of nuclear fuel will be loaded into the plant's core. At that point, John Bolton warned Monday, it will be too late for Israel to launch a military strike against the facility because any attack would spread radiation and affect Iranian civilians.

    "Once that uranium, once those fuel rods are very close to the reactor, certainly once they're in the reactor, attacking it means a release of radiation, no question about it," Bolton told Fox Business Network.

    "So if Israel is going to do anything against Bushehr it has to move in the next eight days."

    Absent an Israeli strike, Bolton said, "Iran will achieve something that no other opponent of Israel, no other enemy of the United States in the Middle East really has and that is a functioning nuclear reactor." But when asked whether he expected Israel to actually launch strikes against Iran within the next eight days, Bolton was skeptical.

    "I don't think so, I'm afraid that they've lost this opportunity," he said.

    Yahoo
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member malloc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Queen Creek, AZ
    Posts
    2,160
    I don't have a lot of information on this, so this is a total armchair quarterbacking.

    This might be a calculated move by Israel. If this facility is perceived by the population of Iran as a power utility facility and not a military facility, then attacking it could galvanize a torn Iranian population into a unified front. A front led by the same crazies who are trying to brow beat the population into that unified front. A strike by Israel could accomplish what the Iranian oligarchy cannot.

    Just my $0.02.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,080
    Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    I don't have a lot of information on this, so this is a total armchair quarterbacking.

    This might be a calculated move by Israel. If this facility is perceived by the population of Iran as a power utility facility and not a military facility, then attacking it could galvanize a torn Iranian population into a unified front. A front led by the same crazies who are trying to brow beat the population into that unified front. A strike by Israel could accomplish what the Iranian oligarchy cannot.

    Just my $0.02.
    Iran won't take it quietly like Iraq did, that is for sure. But I don't think that the populace of Iran is quite so ignorant of the issue. They've gotta have access to some outside news source other then the Iranian state media.

    I'd say worse case scenario here would be Israel trying to bomb the place, and finding that Iran's anti-air capabilities is fully capable of stopping them. I've gotta imagine that site is surrounded by AA Missile batteries, with fighter jets on alert at all times for just such an event.
    Last edited by djones520; 08-17-2010 at 11:58 AM.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,436
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Iran won't take it quietly like Iraq did, that is for sure. But I don't think that the populace of Iran is quite so ignorant of the issue. They've gotta have access to some outside news source other then the Iranian state media.
    But Iran won't be in much of a position to do anything other than bitch and moan.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Zoomie djones520's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    10,080
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    But Iran won't be in much of a position to do anything other than bitch and moan.
    Except they've got a lot of missiles that are plenty capable of hitting Israel. The Israeli's attacking a "civilian" target would more then warrant for the Iranians to do the same.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

    In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,902
    North Korea's reaction to an attack on Iran will also be interesting.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7 Go 
    Senior Member obx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    KIll Devil Hills, N.C.
    Posts
    1,232
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    North Korea's reaction to an attack on Iran will also be interesting.
    I think if Isreal turned Iran into a glass topped parking lot, North Korea would not do much.
    ________
    Chrysler Cordoba Specifications
    Last edited by obx; 03-21-2011 at 06:24 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member Ranger Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    420
    My arm chair Quarterbacking:

    Hitting it after it is loaded might be a good thing. There are not going to be a lot of civilians around. And dosing ever thing in radiation would make it harder to rebuild.

    Of course, all hell will break loose in the oil market. But hey.
    I dream of the day a chicken can cross the road without it's motives being questioned.

    Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    How is a state religion bad, but state medicine good?
    Quote Originally Posted by steamboatpete View Post
    Anyone who makes the decision to depend upon the government to take care of their basic needs has essentially doomed himself to a life of bitter disappointment.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,902
    Quote Originally Posted by obx View Post
    I think if Isreal turned Iran into a glass topped parking lot, North Korea would not do much.
    It could go either way, the little dictator is not a rational human being. His life is at the end and he doesn't give a crap about the lives of his people so he may decide to go out with a bang.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    13,094
    Quote Originally Posted by djones520 View Post
    Except they've got a lot of missiles that are plenty capable of hitting Israel. The Israeli's attacking a "civilian" target would more then warrant for the Iranians to do the same.

    Does Israel have an anti-missle system? After Saddam sent his SCUDs that way in the first Gulf War, I would think they would have one by now.


    The russians sure better hope that the Iranians never turn on them, or all those weapons they are selling Iran will be used on them.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •