Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 English professor 'thrown out of Starbucks after objecting to corporate language' 
    Lynne Rosenthal was ejected by three police officers after clashing with a barista about the firm’s ordering rules, which require customers to adopt marketing speak that many find artificial and cloying.

The academic, who is in her early 60s, particularly resented being to forced to state that she did not want butter or cheese on her bagel.

Many cafes ask customers whether they would like such extras with their orders in an attempt to boost takings.

She told the New York Post newspaper: "I refused to say 'without butter or cheese.' When you go to Burger King, you don't have to list the six things you don't want.

"Linguistically, it's stupid, and I'm a stickler for correct English."

Prof Rosenthal added: "The barista said, 'You're not going to get anything unless you say butter or cheese!'" ...
    link

I used to work in the food service industry and now I work with university professors. Let me assure you that this professor was being an arrogant ass.

A simple "neither" or "plain" would have sufficed but then she wouldn't have had the chance to show off her perceived superiority over the Starbucks minions.
    Last edited by jendf; 08-17-2010 at 03:35 PM.

I can see her point and I agree with her, although it is kind of nice hearing about a liberal professor being humbled a little.

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    I used to work in the food service industry and now I work with university professors. Let me assure you that this professor was being an arrogant ass.

A simple "neither" or "plain" would have sufficed but then she wouldn't have had the chance to show off her perceived superiority over the Starbucks minions.

My 3 english profs in college were as follows: a radical feminist who told us to picture Odysseus as Captain Kirk (a good teacher), a jewish guy who bitched about his wife and daughter before his lecture (also a good teacher), and a greasy scumbag who thought that he could manipulate me into sleeping with him just because my sorority sister usually got me drunk before class. I would pity any barrista dealing with the third one.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My 3 english profs in college were as follows: a radical feminist who told us to picture Odysseus as Captain Kirk (a good teacher), a jewish guy who bitched about his wife and daughter before his lecture (also a good teacher), and a greasy scumbag who thought that he could manipulate me into sleeping with him just because my sorority sister usually got me drunk before class. I would pity any barrista dealing with the third one.
    Yeah, they are an eccentric group.

“We are completely relaxed about how people order their coffee – and what they call the cups, there are no rules and customers have always been able to ask for drinks any way they want.”
    um hum . . . suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrre
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

When you go to Burger King, you don't have to list the six things you don't want.

She clearly has forgotten the old Burger King jingle: "Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders won't upset us, all we ask is that you let us serve it your way. Have it your way....Have it your way at Burger King"

I'm a stickler for correct statements.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I can see her point and I agree with her, although it is kind of nice hearing about a liberal professor being humbled a little.
    Dude! I think that was Linda#'s!! :D

As an aside I was at Burgerking years ago and thought I was funny and asked for my order and added, no small cokes please. When I got my order the kid handed me an empty bag with my order!! You guessed it, the empty bag had no small cokes!! :D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    It is a bit of a 'I hope both of them lose' story isn't it? :D

I hate Starbucks with a seething passion. They are grossly overpriced and their coffee isn't all that great to begin with. I keep things simple. I go to Dunkin.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.