Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1 English professor 'thrown out of Starbucks after objecting to corporate language' 
    Super Moderator bijou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Lynne Rosenthal was ejected by three police officers after clashing with a barista about the firm’s ordering rules, which require customers to adopt marketing speak that many find artificial and cloying.

    The academic, who is in her early 60s, particularly resented being to forced to state that she did not want butter or cheese on her bagel.


    Many cafes ask customers whether they would like such extras with their orders in an attempt to boost takings.

    She told the New York Post newspaper: "I refused to say 'without butter or cheese.' When you go to Burger King, you don't have to list the six things you don't want.

    "Linguistically, it's stupid, and I'm a stickler for correct English."

    Prof Rosenthal added: "The barista said, 'You're not going to get anything unless you say butter or cheese!'" ...
    link
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member jendf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,693
    I used to work in the food service industry and now I work with university professors. Let me assure you that this professor was being an arrogant ass.

    A simple "neither" or "plain" would have sufficed but then she wouldn't have had the chance to show off her perceived superiority over the Starbucks minions.
    Last edited by jendf; 08-17-2010 at 03:35 PM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    42,419
    I can see her point and I agree with her, although it is kind of nice hearing about a liberal professor being humbled a little.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Power CUer noonwitch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Warren, MI
    Posts
    12,849
    Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    I used to work in the food service industry and now I work with university professors. Let me assure you that this professor was being an arrogant ass.

    A simple "neither" or "plain" would have sufficed but then she wouldn't have had the chance to show off her perceived superiority over the Starbucks minions.

    My 3 english profs in college were as follows: a radical feminist who told us to picture Odysseus as Captain Kirk (a good teacher), a jewish guy who bitched about his wife and daughter before his lecture (also a good teacher), and a greasy scumbag who thought that he could manipulate me into sleeping with him just because my sorority sister usually got me drunk before class. I would pity any barrista dealing with the third one.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member jendf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    1,693
    Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    My 3 english profs in college were as follows: a radical feminist who told us to picture Odysseus as Captain Kirk (a good teacher), a jewish guy who bitched about his wife and daughter before his lecture (also a good teacher), and a greasy scumbag who thought that he could manipulate me into sleeping with him just because my sorority sister usually got me drunk before class. I would pity any barrista dealing with the third one.
    Yeah, they are an eccentric group.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    CU's Tallest Midget! PoliCon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pittsburgh PA
    Posts
    25,328
    “We are completely relaxed about how people order their coffee – and what they call the cups, there are no rules and customers have always been able to ask for drinks any way they want.”
    um hum . . . suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurrrre
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Ape Articulate_Ape's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    NJ, Exit Only
    Posts
    7,977
    When you go to Burger King, you don't have to list the six things you don't want.

    She clearly has forgotten the old Burger King jingle: "Hold the pickles, hold the lettuce, special orders won't upset us, all we ask is that you let us serve it your way. Have it your way....Have it your way at Burger King"

    I'm a stickler for correct statements.
    "The efforts of the government alone will never be enough. In the end the people must choose and the people must help themselves" ~ JFK; from his famous inauguration speech (What Democrats sounded like before today's neo-Liberals hijacked that party)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    HR Corporate Scum patriot45's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Plant City, Florida
    Posts
    10,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I can see her point and I agree with her, although it is kind of nice hearing about a liberal professor being humbled a little.
    Dude! I think that was Linda#'s!! :D

    As an aside I was at Burgerking years ago and thought I was funny and asked for my order and added, no small cokes please. When I got my order the kid handed me an empty bag with my order!! You guessed it, the empty bag had no small cokes!! :D

    : “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Super Moderator bijou's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    4,207
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I can see her point and I agree with her, although it is kind of nice hearing about a liberal professor being humbled a little.
    It is a bit of a 'I hope both of them lose' story isn't it? :D
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Power CUer NJCardFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    16,278
    I hate Starbucks with a seething passion. They are grossly overpriced and their coffee isn't all that great to begin with. I keep things simple. I go to Dunkin.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •