Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Judges rule that Utah memorial crosses for state troopers are unconstitutional 
    * August 19th, 2010 10:55 am

Wednesday, the 10th Circuit U.S. Court of Appeals ruled that highway memorial crosses for state troopers are unconstitutional; the crosses were erected along Utah public roads to honor those troopers who died in the area. The three-judge panel ruled that 14 large crosses could be ruled as the "government's endorsement of Christianity."

"We hold that these memorials have the impermissible effect of conveying to the reasonable observer the message that the state prefers or otherwise endorses a certain religion," concluded the judges in a Denver, Colorado-based court.

In 1998, the Utah Highway Patrol Association started placing the crosses and the fallen trooper's name, rank, photo, badge number, and biological information about the officer were placed on the crosses. The crosses also include the state insignia, and the judges ruled that raises constitutional concerns.

The Utah Highway Patrol Association said their message was not religious, but to serve as "a lasting reminder to UHPA members and Utah highway patrol troopers that a fellow trooper gave his life in service to this state" and to "encourage safe conduct on the highways."

The state of Utah has the option to appeal to the US Supreme Court.

http://www.examiner.com/headlines-in...nstitutional-2
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Once again, Christian religious freedom is under attack. I wonder if Pelosi is going to investigate this.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Once again, Christian religious freedom is under attack. I wonder if Pelosi is going to investigate this.
    I like how the left ALWAYS ignores the free exercise clause.

Just once I would love to see a state tell a federal judge that they plan to completely ignore a decision they don't agree with.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    Just once I would love to see a state tell a federal judge that they plan to completely ignore a decision they don't agree with.
    I've no interest in that per se- but I would like to see a state tell the feds that they will ignore an unconstitutional ruling made by some asshole activist judge.
    Last edited by PoliCon; 08-19-2010 at 05:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    I've no interest in that persay - but I would like to see a state tell the feds that they will ignore an unconstitutional ruling made by some asshole activist judge.
    Its a shitty ruling for sure.

But poli poop, the phrase is per se, not per say. Mrs. teacher who like to tell me how to spell baloney!:D

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

There are two highway memorials to Michigan state troopers who were shot and killed on 1-96 in Detroit. They used a huge plastic version of the MSP symbol, laid flat on the grass on the side of the freeway.

It's more tasteful than it sounds, and probably more appropriate in Michigan than a cross, given our demographics.

Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Its a shitty ruling for sure.

But poli poop, the phrase is per se, not per say. Mrs. teacher who like to tell me how to spell baloney!:D
    LIKES. You could at least make sure your tenses match when correcting someones spelling :p

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    LIKES. You could at least make sure your tenses match when correcting someones spelling :p
    I'm not tense, I'm chillin! :D

By the way, shouldn't it be, tense's. In your sentence the tense belongs to me!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

This is setting a bad precedent. How soon before some loon protests all the crosses and Stars of David that are all over Arlington National Cemetery.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.