Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 They won't build it! Hardhats vow not to work on controversial mosque near Ground Zer 
    They won't build it! Hardhats vow not to work on controversial mosque near Ground Zero

BY Samuel Goldsmith
    DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Friday, August 20th 2010, 4:00 AM

The site of the proposed mosque near Ground Zero. Many construction workers are vowing not to work on the controversial project.

Blaster David Kaiser's hardhat says what he thinks of the mosque planned for Park Place, near Ground Zero.

Supporters, opponents debate merits of controversial plan to build mosque near Ground ZeroA growing number of New York construction workers are vowing not to work on the mosque planned near Ground Zero.

"It's a very touchy thing because they want to do this on sacred ground," said Dave Kaiser, 38, a blaster who is working to rebuild the World Trade Center site. "I wouldn't work there, especially after I found out about what the imam said about U.S. policy being responsible for 9/11," Kaiser said.

The grass-roots movement is gaining momentum on the Internet. One construction worker created the "Hard Hat Pledge" on his blog and asked others to vow not to work on the project if it stays on Park Place.

"Thousands of people are signing up from all over the country," said creator Andy Sullivan, a construction worker from Brooklyn. "People who sell glass, steel, lumber, insurance. They are all refusing to do work if they build there."

"Hopefully, this will be a tool to get them to move it," he said. "I got a problem with this ostentatious building looming over Ground Zero."

A planned 13-story community center and mosque two blocks from Ground Zero, Park51 has exploded into a national debate.

Louis Coletti, president of the Building Trades Employers' Association, said unions have not yet taken a "formal position" on Park51, but he understands why members would be hesitant to work there.

"It's a very difficult dilemma for the contractors and the organized labor force because we are experiencing such high levels of unemployment," he said. "Yet at the same time, this is a very sacred sight to the union guys."

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/...#ixzz0xANjFwCh

Unsurprising. I think we all knew something like this would happen. They might have the right to build it, but they don't have the right to get it built.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Unsurprising. I think we all knew something like this would happen. They might have the right to build it, but they don't have the right to get it built.

I dont want to be a negitive nancy but I know some greedy builder in the long run will take the money and do the work.

I hope their crew does a substandard job. :D

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    I dont want to be a negitive nancy but I know some greedy builder in the long run will take the money and do the work.

Maybe, but it might be the last job they get for a while. People are pretty upset about this.
    "Our president delivered his State of the Union message to Congress. That is one of the things his contract calls for -- to tell congress the condition of the country. This message, as I say, is to Congress. The rest of the people know the condition of the country, for they live in it, but Congress has no idea what is going on in America, so the president has to tell 'em." ~ Will Rogers

Banned
    It will never get built. Union labor will not work on it; importing non union labor will stirr up a lot of trouble that will get very ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post

They'll have an interesting time if the construction unions refuse to work on it. They'll have to use non-union labor, which may not even be possible in NYC, given the union rules there. Can you imagine the state and city trying to push through an exemption in order to allow non-union workers on the site, after Obama refused to sign an executive order to allow non-union ship crews to stop the oil spill? Talk about a PR nightmare for the left. Not only will the construction unions oppose it, but the FDNY union. And the Fire Department still has to approve all plans and inspect everything that's done, which means that every bureaucratic hurdle in that department will be in the way, which means that nothing will get done. For that matter, can you imagine the non-union workers trying to cross that picket line, with the NYPD sitting on its hands (they lost quite a few people on 9/11, too)?

If Bloomberg tries to force the issue from above, he'll be looking at a serious labor rebellion, and the beauty of it is that the unions will be fighting against their Democratic masters. That's the kind of schism that can suppress turnout just when the Democrats need it most.

Expect about 3-5 percentage points in any competitive house races within 100 miles of NYC to shift towards the GOP.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    I wonder why these guys don't care about a church being across the street from the Murrah Federal Building after a right wing christian blew it up ?

These hacks wouldn't know freedom of religion if it cracked their hard hat.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Expect about 3-5 percentage points in any competitive house races within 100 miles of NYC to shift towards the GOP.
    Shows what insight you have.

This won't even be an issue, it will die within a months time.

Quote Originally Posted by Satanicus View Post
    Shows what insight you have.

This won't even be an issue, it will die within a months time.
    Dream on.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Articulate_Ape View Post
    Dream on.
    The entire issue will be resolved soon.

It's a no brainer. It will be built , just not there.

Wait for it ..... breaking news within a months time.