Thread: Wikileaks Founder charged with Rape and Molestation in Sweden.

1. #1 Wikileaks Founder charged with Rape and Molestation in Sweden. 
    Stockholm, Sweden (CNN) -- The founder and editor of the whistle-blowing website WikiLeaks, Julian Assange, is wanted in Sweden after accusations of rape and molestation, a spokeswoman for the Swedish prosecutor's office told CNN Saturday.

Spokeswoman Karin Rosander said Assange was arrested in absentia Friday night, and faces charges in relation to two separate instances, but she didn't have more detail about when the alleged crimes occurred or who the alleged victims are.

Assange denied the allegations in a posting Saturday on the WikiLeaks Twitter page, saying, "The charges are without basis and their issue at this moment is deeply disturbing."

A rape charge carries a possible prison sentence, while a molestation charge would not, Rosander said. In Sweden, a crime of molestation is not limited to child victims.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe...pt=T1&iref=BN1
    Ruh Roh Shaggy!
    Rape has a "possible" prison sentence? WTF is wrong with that country?
    Last edited by bijou; 08-21-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: to comply with B/N posting format
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I get the feeling this was a manufactured charge. Maybe to get him out in the open?

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    I get the feeling this was a manufactured charge. Maybe to get him out in the open?
    Doubtful. Assange clearly gets off on attention and drama, and doesn't seem to care about the concerns of others. It's entirely possible that his narcissism and lack of real empathy translates into sexual predation. And, now that we know that PFC Manning leaked the documents because he was upset about breaking up with his drag queen boyfriend, the sexual aspect of this case may actually garner some real media attention. After all, it's not like the impeding deaths of hundreds of Afghans who aided us is worth covering...
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Resident Grump
    No.

The report is they have a complaint. I might also add that the Swedes do NOT issue a false warrant for a man's arrest for a crime they know he did not commit.

He is a suspect, and a warrant has been issued for his arrest. Sweden doesnt take this kind of thing lightly, and I am certain that no Swedish judge would lend his office to signing a false warrant for political ends.

Assange would be well advised to hand himself in. If he runs and hides, he isn't a hero or a "leaker"..he's a suspected rapist. The charge itself is heinous, not to be used lightly... the fact they also mentioned molestation, means this could be with someone underage.

I'd say this is genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    the fact they also mentioned molestation, means this could be with someone underage.
    Where do you get that from the article?

...a crime of molestation is not limited to child victims.. is the line I saw.

Anyway, the article raised some flags. To start, it was kinda organized like this:

• First 9 sentences: Man allegedly commits a sex crime (without any real details).
    • Next 18 sentences: Facts completely unrelated to the first 9... mostly about who the guy is and what he has done in the past.

This is a red flag, because CNN has no problem digging out the salacious details of any sort of sex crime and dirty secret. Most of the time when you read an article like this, it's 90% about the alleged crime (including all sorts of speculation, and differing opinions about what may have happened) and then at the end a quick blurb about the suspect.

That this article reads differently, means in my mind there is something more going on here.