1. #1 New senators want to change way Senate works 
    Written By: Guest Contributor
    Published: 8/22/2010 Print This Article

New senators want to change way Senate works

By JIM ABRAMS - Reprinted from Yahoo! News

WASHINGTON – Those who hold the Senate in low esteem can get a sympathetic ear from some of the chamber's newer members. These lawmakers also are fed up with the Senate's ways and would like to change them.

"A graveyard of good ideas" is how freshman Democrat Tom Udall of New Mexico sees the Senate. "Out of whack with the way the rest of the world is," says another freshman, Michael Bennet, D-Colo. "Just defies common sense" is the impression of Claire McCaskill, a first-term Democrat from Missouri, in describing the filibuster-plagued institution.

New members, especially those from the majority party eager to fulfill their election promises, typically complain about the slow pace of the Senate. But with partisanship pushing the Senate toward petrification, some newcomers are seeking fundamental changes in the way the Senate operates. Getting their more senior colleagues to go along will not be easy.

CONTINUED
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Banned
    The old Dogs want to keep their power and seniority in check. New Democratic Senators will be told to be seen and not heard. I am afraid the Repubs will do the same thing when they take over the House and possibly the Senate.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Satanicus View Post
    Deleted by moderator

Never in our history has one party literally tried to destroy our country.
    Last edited by hampshirebrit; 08-23-2010 at 06:51 AM.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

These people forget that we are a REPUBLIC not a democracy.

I find this to be suspect, the junior senators demand more fairness, the old guard Dem's reluctantly cave and the Republicans are left with even less of a voice.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    These people forget that we are a REPUBLIC not a democracy.
    I agree. I'm also glad the rules change s sre a hard thing to do. Can you imagine the chaos created if the rules were able to be changed willy nilly. I also have no problem with difficulties passing new legislation.

Best way to keep govt out of our lives is to make it difficult for the gob=vt to legislate.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    I agree. I'm also glad the rules change s sre a hard thing to do. Can you imagine the chaos created if the rules were able to be changed willy nilly. I also have no problem with difficulties passing new legislation.

Best way to keep govt out of our lives is to make it difficult for the gob=vt to legislate.
    Exactly. The Senate is supposed to be slow and thoughtful and deliberate on these issues. But then - they're also supposed to FUCKING READ what they vote on before they pass it! :mad: