Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Do it yourself? Not likely if you're under 35. 
    Do it yourself? Not likely if you're under 35. More than half are DIY dunces who can't even rewire a plug and have to rely on parents

By Daily Mail Reporter
    Last updated at 7:35 PM on 23rd August 2010

More than half of young people lack the skills they need to maintain their homes, with many relying on their parents to carry out basic tasks, a survey suggested today. Around 50 per cent of people aged under 35 admitted they did not know how to rewire a plug, while 54 per cent did not know how to bleed a radiator and 63 per cent said they would not attempt to put up wallpaper, according to Halifax Home Insurance.

Other basic jobs, such as putting up shelves, were beyond 45 per cent of those questioned, while 36 per cent said they would not even attempt to do gardening themselves. Instead 42 per cent would pay a professional to do the work.

Nearly two-thirds of young people admitted that their father was far better at DIY than they were.

The study also found that when the under 35s do attempt to do a job themselves and it goes wrong, it costs nearly three times as much to fix as problems caused by other age groups. The average cost of putting right a botched DIY job carried out by someone under 35 is £2,498, compared with around £838 for those aged over 45.
    That's sad. Most of them won't be able to afford a handyman by the time their parents don't want to do it anymore.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz0xSO2NdOC

I am pretty much self taught on home repairs and in the beginning (pre-35), I wasn't that great.

I improved.

As a side note, the next time the house gets painted, I am shelling out the money. Some things are just worth it.

If their parents had made them do some work rather than allowing them to spend all day playing video games while they were growing up - things might be different.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Power CUer
    Their parents really COULD have shown them how.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

I don't know how to rewire a plug. I call my uncle for stuff like that.

I grew up on a construction site, and worked for my dad's construction company from the time I could walk until I joined the Marines, and even for a while after I got out. I can do anything that needs to be done at my house except for advanced heating and air. I can do the A/C fuses, run duct work, freon recharge, etc. But beyond that, I have to call a professional. I'm only 31, but I've been able to do these things my whole life. The same goes for automotive as well. My dad has been a gear head since he was a kid, so we've rebuilt many engines and transmissions together. I have to admit that I find modern vehicles much more intimidating and harder to troubleshoot though. Everything modern is computer controlled and has very close tolerances.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    If their parents had made them do some work rather than allowing them to spend all day playing video games while they were growing up - things might be different.
    Absolutely right!

I learned it all from my Dad - in the early fifties - before we had B/W television for four hours a day in Kansas City!

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

I can turn my hand to most DIY except that involving wiring or gas. I call on a professional if the time it will take to do a job means that it makes economic sense for me to pay someone else to do it and use the time to earn money.

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    I can turn my hand to most DIY except that involving wiring or gas. I call on a professional if the time it will take to do a job means that it makes economic sense for me to pay someone else to do it and use the time to earn money.
    I do alot of stuff on my own and I will only touch above-the-floor when it comes to gas.

Too much room for boom.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I don't know how to rewire a plug. I call my uncle for stuff like that.
    Rewiring a plug is about the easiest project you can do. Seriously, even Linda Numbers could do it. :p