1. #1 Trapped Chilean Miners Are Alive 
    AMERICAS NEWS AUGUST 23, 2010

Trapped Chilean Miners Are Alive

By MATT MOFFETT
    Thirty three miners in northern Chile who have been trapped nearly half a mile underground since Aug. 5 sent out a dramatic message attached to a drill operated by rescuers that they were well and holding out in a shelter.

After receiving a note that says all 33 trapped miners are safe, family and rescue workers are optimistic regarding their eventual release.

The miners in the San Jose gold and copper mine said they had been holed up in a refuge since the cave-in and had water, as well as light, thanks to a truck that was parked there. "We are well in the shelter the 33," read the note, written in red paint, and brandished triumphantly by President Sebastian Piñera, who held a bullhorn in his right hand.

The news triggered a wave of rejoicing throughout Chile, where the rescue effort has prompted around-the-clock TV coverage and multiple visits to the site by Mr. Piñera. Firemen in the city of Santiago blared their sirens Sunday and soccer fans at Santiago stadiums held up signs hailing the miners and their rescuers.

AFP/Getty Images

"All of Chile is shedding tears of joy," Mr. Piñera said. But he and other Chilean authorities added that extricating the miners from the rickety mine would be an arduous task that could take months. The miners were located in a shelter about 2,200 feet underground.

Having located the miners, rescuers lowered a video camera and said they would release images Sunday night. Rescuers said they would supply food and water to the trapped miners through thin plastic tubes.

In a message tied to a drill, thirty-three miners trapped underground for more than two weeks after a cave-in said they are all alive. Video courtesy of Reuters.
    Mr. Piñera read a personal note a 63-year-old miner named Mario Gomez had written to his wife, and placed in a plastic bag that had been attached to the drill with cables.

"God is great and we are going to come out with the help of my god," Mr. Gomez's letter said. He said he was eager to speak to his son-in-law and closed the letter, writing, "May God illuminate you, and greetings to my family. I love you."

Family members and friends of the miners who had been keeping a vigil above ground were euphoric and broke out into a spontaneous rendition of the Chilean national anthem.

WSJ

This is good news, I'm glad to hear they survived. I think they should all count them selves as on-the-clock until they get pulled out.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    This is good news, I'm glad to hear they survived. I think they should all count them selves as on-the-clock until they get pulled out.
    If it's true that it will take months to free them, I wonder how many will be alive and sane at the end. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    If it's true that it will take months to free them, I wonder how many will be alive and sane at the end. :(
    Now at least they can get food, water, batteries, medicine, etc. to the survivors, and that increases survivability by quite a bit. Depending on the amount of space the survivors have to live in, sanitation could quickly become a problem. I do wish them the best of luck.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

There couldn't possibly be a God, right?
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post

The mining company should at least send their paychecks to their families, while they are stuck, so that no one's kids go hungry and no one's family loses their housing.

Thank God they all survived, though.