Thread: Fat Wednesday!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Fat Wednesday! 
    We will be back to the 80s after a chilly Tuesday. Some of the leaves are already falling off the Russian olive trees. :(

TOTD: Fat kids. They're everywhere. A friend and I were noticing this a few days ago. Her kids aren't fat (one is kind of scary-skinny) but she didn't do anything in particular to keep them from being fat. She doesn't claim to know how parents should deal with fat kids, either, short of locking the cupboards.

So, how should parents solve this problem? Ridicule was always pretty effective at my house along with dark observations about greed but I'm sure that's out of fashion. If you put a kid on a diet will they just get an eating disorder? How do you persuade a 10 year old to favor salad over Little Debbies? What works? What makes things even worse?

Encourage them to be sexually active and they will want to stay thin so they can get laid.

TOTD: My sisters kids aren't fat - but 2 of the 4 aren't excatly skinny either - but things are improving. She's done what I've done and worked to eliminate high fructose corn syrup from their diets and has found that the kids crave sugar MUCH less.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Power CUer
    I'm sorry to hear that "ridicule worked" because I think that's awful to do to a child. I never had weight issues growing up, so I wouldn't necessarily know how to address it. I know we got outside a lot more than kids do now, and we'd go off and ride bikes for hours at a time with no adult supervision.

From what I hear, kids are not allowed to be unsupervised anymore, because supposedly bad guys are everywhere waiting to snatch them. That's what I hear from parents, and I think given the ones I know, they are WAY overestimating the desirability of their children.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    Encourage them to be sexually active and they will want to stay thin so they can get laid.
    Okay, that made me laugh out loud. :p

Power CUer
    Basically, I think we should wait for Shannon to show up. She's the expert on this topic.
    "Today, [the American voter] chooses his rulers as he buys bootleg whiskey, never knowing precisely what he is getting, only certain that it is not what it pretends to be." - H.L. Mencken

Today feels like another nice day.

TOTD: Today there are more video games, fast food & junk food and less activity. When I was growing up soda & candy was a treat, not part of every daily meal. But I was still overweight. That did not stop me from planting gardens, riding horses, digging trenches, repairing cars, going on long bike rides, mowing grass, planting trees, changing oil on diesel semi tractors, etc. By the time I was 15 years old I was doing body work and painting cars for neighbors.
    Last edited by RobJohnson; 08-25-2010 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Today feels like another nice day.

TOTD: Today there are more video games, fast food & junk food and less activity. When I was growing up soda & candy was a treat, not part of every daily meal. But I was still overweight. That did not stop me from planting gardens, riding horses, digging trenches, repairing cars, going on long bike rides, mowing grass, planting trees, changing oil on diesel semi tractors, etc. By the time I was 15 years old I was doing body work and painting cars for neighbors.
    Did your parents try to do anything about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Did your parents try to do anything about it?
    I was not a huge kid, but most of the time I was a few pounds overweight. I do remember some kids being huge in grade school, thankfully I was not one of them. :)

We never had a bunch of junk food in the house and we ate right. I was just overweight for whatever reason.

Some people just have a life long battle with weight & I am one of them.

Banned
    I was skinny as a kid. I stayed outside till it was time for supper playing. Started playing golf when I was 12. Walked a couple miles every day around the golf course rain or shine. I see kids everyday from the Catholic H.S., and none of them are fat. Running is part of their Phs Ed. routine. Exercise is the key not what they eat; I ate a lot of candy and sweets as a kid and still stayed skinny as a rail. Show me a school that has a bunch of fat little fuckers and I will show you a school that does not have P.E.