1. #1 Oregon Offers to Pay to Kill, but Not to Treat Cancer Patient 
    An Adversary of Linda #'s

" Do you think they would provide a sniper to take her out without any warning ,It would only cost the price of one 30.06 round and his 'snuff fee' would be covered !"

SALEM, Oregon, - Lung cancer patient, Barbara Wagner, was recently notified that her oncologist-prescribed medication that would slow the growth of cancer would not be covered by the Oregon Health Plan; the plan, however, she was informed, would cover doctor-assisted suicide should she wish to kill herself.

"Treatment of advanced cancer that is meant to prolong life, or change the course of this disease, is not a covered benefit of the Oregon Health Plan," read the letter notifying Wagner of the health plan's decision. Wagner says she was shocked by the decision. "To say to someone,...

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/jun/08060402.html

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by megimoo View Post

" Do you think they would provide a sniper to take her out without any warning ,It would only cost the price of one 30.06 round and his 'snuff fee' would be covered !"

SALEM, Oregon, - Lung cancer patient, Barbara Wagner, was recently notified that her oncologist-prescribed medication that would slow the growth of cancer would not be covered by the Oregon Health Plan; the plan, however, she was informed, would cover doctor-assisted suicide should she wish to kill herself.

"Treatment of advanced cancer that is meant to prolong life, or change the course of this disease, is not a covered benefit of the Oregon Health Plan," read the letter notifying Wagner of the health plan's decision. Wagner says she was shocked by the decision. "To say to someone,...

http://www.lifesitenews.com/ldn/2008/jun/08060402.html
    THIS is what I was afraid of once physician-assisted suicide became legal. The damned HMO would take the cheap way out, which is always the quick death.

Welcome to universal health care. Infinite demand + finite resources = rationed health care.

All you old, sick, crippled people with complicated diseases or risky outcomes need to throw yourselves under the bus now. k thx bye

noonwitch
    My uncle died of cancer in 1998, at the age of 48. He had an HMO. He had been going to his doctor for a year, complaining of back pain and they gave him a scrip for painkillers, but never did an X-ray. A year later, he started peeing blood, and they diagnosed him with terminal kidney cancer. They didn't refer him for chemo or anything that might have prolonged his life-he had teenaged kids at the time, any more time would have been a blessing for his family.

I think the world of Hospice for how much good they did for the family, and because their doctors made sure that my uncle had as much morphine as it took to remove the pain, when it got near the end and the pain was unbearable for him.

He was handicapped-hard of hearing and he had cerebral palsy. To this day, I wonder if the doctor minimized his complaints about pain because he was handicapped, or if he didn't refer him for chemo or radiation because he didn't value his life. And, I will never trust the HMO or hospital involved. One of my cousins was offered that plan as a choice by his employer-he told them "no way, they killed my uncle".

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Elspeth View Post
    THIS is what I was afraid of once physician-assisted suicide became legal. The damned HMO would take the cheap way out, which is always the quick death.
    FYI, this is not a HMO, this is the State of Oregon. The "Oregon Health Plan" is administered by the Oregon state Division of Medical Assistance Programs.

Socialized medicine at its finest.

My Dad would have snapped this up. When he was diagnosed, he refused all treatment and starved himself to death. It didn't take long but it was miserable for us all.

You should have a choice though.

Power CUer
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    FYI, this is not a HMO, this is the State of Oregon. The "Oregon Health Plan" is administered by the Oregon state Division of Medical Assistance Programs.

Socialized medicine at its finest.
    Oh, great. :(