Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    You and me are probably in the minority on that one.
    Doubtful. I'd guess that half the board would be okay with dumping the War on Drugs and legalizing weed.

I'm surprised at the 9th. Usually with liberal courts you have to "put up" with bad rulings on some issues (entitlements) to get good rulings on other issues (privacy). Same deal with conservative courts.

This is really something where they ruled the wrong way, and I am incredibly saddened that a liberal court ruled this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Rights? ti's about stopping DRUGS people! DRUGS!!

they get you HIGH

i'll give you a right, i'll give you a left and i'll give you a kick to the fucking head. lol marijuana rights yeah right
    Clearly, you've been at the pipe yourself. You might want to grab a bag of Doritos and come down before you continue typing.
    Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    I'm surprised at the 9th. Usually with liberal courts you have to "put up" with bad rulings on some issues (entitlements) to get good rulings on other issues (privacy). Same deal with conservative courts.

This is really something where they ruled the wrong way, and I am incredibly saddened that a liberal court ruled this way.
    Why are you surprised? Surveillance is always okay when liberals are in charge. It's only when conservatives are in charge that our rights are threatened.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Doubtful. I'd guess that half the board would be okay with dumping the War on Drugs and legalizing weed.
    Only if the dismantle the welfare state FIRST.
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    Why are you surprised? Surveillance is always okay when liberals are in charge.
    C'mon. That's kind of a stretch. I think it's only a very recent phenomena, that liberals have honestly in my view taken the worst aspects of the Republican party.10 years ago this would have been unheard of. Liberals gave us the EFF, and the Innocence Project, and the ALCU. Those organizations are a lot of things, but one thing they aren't is pro-government-authority.

But there is a shift in the liberal wing towards totalitarianism, and I find it frustrating because in the last couple of years basically liberals have lost (what I consider) a somewhat redeeming quality. Maybe it was all an act until a Democrat became president, who knows.

The vast majority of liberals would as well, it's astonishing that it's not being taken seriously except for California. Even decriminalization would be better.

As it is, the majority of the billions of dollars that fund the Mexican Drug Cartels' border war comes from the American drug trade and more than half of that is from marijuana alone.

People are using this terrible violence on the border to play politics on both sides on the immigration issue but a change of policy would save the United States billions of tax dollars used on enforcement (which, some might argue, is indirect funding, or at least finance security, for the violent drug cartels) and potentially bring in billions more if it were legalized and taxed.

This is about liberty, about money, and about human lives caught up in the byproducts of a failed drug policy, and it seems most of the public agrees, yet nothing is done.

The vast majority of liberals would as well, it's astonishing that it's not being taken seriously except for California. Even decriminalization would be better.

As it is, the majority of the billions of dollars that fund the Mexican Drug Cartels' border war comes from the American drug trade and more than half of that is from marijuana alone.

People are using this terrible violence on the border to play politics on both sides on the immigration issue but a change of policy would save the United States billions of tax dollars used on enforcement (which, some might argue, is indirect funding, or at least finance security, for the violent drug cartels) and potentially bring in billions more if it were legalized and taxed.

This is about liberty, about money, and about human lives caught up in the byproducts of a failed drug policy, and it seems most of the public agrees, yet nothing is done.
    I am all for legelized drugs, as long as the tax payers dont have to foot the bill for the drugs AND supporting any drugged out fool who cant fend for him/herself

Too many people in Washington and elsewhere have made a very good living off making weed illegal.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    C'mon. That's kind of a stretch. I think it's only a very recent phenomena, that liberals have honestly in my view taken the worst aspects of the Republican party.10 years ago this would have been unheard of. Liberals gave us the EFF, and the Innocence Project, and the ALCU. Those organizations are a lot of things, but one thing they aren't is pro-government-authority.

But there is a shift in the liberal wing towards totalitarianism, and I find it frustrating because in the last couple of years basically liberals have lost (what I consider) a somewhat redeeming quality. Maybe it was all an act until a Democrat became president, who knows.
    Progressives (as opposed to the liberals of the same period, who are now conservatives) were always about totalitarianism. Woodrow Wilson attacked individual civil liberties through two major pieces of legislation, the Espionage Act of 1917 and the Sedition Act of 1918, which made criticism of the government an act of sedition, and Wilson created a private paramilitary group, the American Protective League (APL), which was officially approved by the Attorney General, who authorized the APL to carry on its letterhead the words "Organized with the Approval and Operating under the Direction of the United States Department of Justice, Bureau of Investigation."[ They even carried badges which read, "American Protective League –Secret Service." Can you imagine the uproar if a Republican administration created it's own paramilitary league to ferret out "disloyalty"?

Their activities included raids and surveillance, As a result of its activities, over 10,000 aliens of German ancestry had been taken into government custody during World War I, all of whom were released after the Harding administration replaced Wilson's. Harding's AG referred to APL "intelligence" as "gossip, hearsay information, conclusions, and inferences" and stated that "information of this character could not be used without danger of doing serious wrong to individuals who were probably innocent."

The FDR white house generally concentrated on actual threats to the nation, but by the 1960s, liberals were perfectly willing to employ surveillance against the Civil Rights movement and even Republicans. Here's the Miami Herald on LBJ's hatchet man, Bill Moyers:

Bill Moyers' Journal, gay-bashing edition
    Of all the second acts in American public life, none has amazed me more than that of Bill Moyers. He spent the first decade of his adult life as one of Lyndon Johnson's dirtiest henchmen. His work on Johnson's vicious 1964 presidential campaign is probably worth an entire book by itself: Moyers helped thwart the seating of an integrated delegation from Mississippi at the 1964 Democratic National Convention, and asked the FBI to investigate 15 members of the Senate staff of Johnson's opponent, Barry Goldwater. Other lowlights include Moyers giving the FBI the okay to spread dirty stories about Martin Luther King's sex life, and his ongoing role spinning fanciful tales about the war in Vietnam as Johnson's press secretary from 1965 to 1967.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/chang...#ixzz0xjMyuxo4
    Progs/Liberals aren't in favor of civil liberties in general, they're in favor of liberties for themselves and restrictions on the rest of us. Always have been, always will be.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Too many people in Washington and elsewhere have made a very good living off making weed illegal.
    I agree, but given our usual different perspectives, who do you see as making enough money and wielding enough power to stop sensible legislation from being passed?

Another question, such a common sense issue that most people can get behind...why haven't any of the radio pundits (liberal or conservative) taken up this issue? Year after year radio heads talk it up about gays or muslims or immigrants but this is a real issue that people agree on, so why isn't the so called speakerbox of the working people ignoring it?