Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I agree, but given our usual different perspectives, who do you see as making enough money and wielding enough power to stop sensible legislation from being passed?

Another question, such a common sense issue that most people can get behind...why haven't any of the radio pundits (liberal or conservative) taken up this issue? Year after year radio heads talk it up about gays or muslims or immigrants but this is a real issue that people agree on, so why isn't the so called speakerbox of the working people ignoring it?
    Cause the majority of Americans are against legalizing drugs.

Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Cause the majority of Americans are against legalizing drugs.
    And, because legalization creates problems which most people don't want to deal with, on either side of the issue. For example, if it's legal to get high on any substance, whose job is it to deal with the fallout from those people who inevitably crash and burn? Do they get a taxpayer-funded rehab when they decide that they want to quit and can't? Do they get medical insurance that covers the side effects of their "hobby" (HIV, for one obvious example, from sharing needles, or the longterm effects of cocaine use on nasal cavities and cardio-vascular diseases, or even the weight gain from the munchies)? Will the legalization proponents object to over-indulgers losing their licenses to drive when they get behind the wheel of a car stoned, or when an employer decides that off-site habits can effect on-site performance? Does an airline, for example, have a right to impose drug restrictions on pilots? A construction company on it's heavy equipment operators? How about a hospital's medical personnel, especially surgical staff?

If we are going to exercise the right, people have to take responsibility. If they can't then the stuff stays illegal.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    And, because legalization creates problems which most people don't want to deal with, on either side of the issue. For example, if it's legal to get high on any substance, whose job is it to deal with the fallout from those people who inevitably crash and burn? Do they get a taxpayer-funded rehab when they decide that they want to quit and can't? Do they get medical insurance that covers the side effects of their "hobby" (HIV, for one obvious example, from sharing needles, or the longterm effects of cocaine use on nasal cavities and cardio-vascular diseases, or even the weight gain from the munchies)? Will the legalization proponents object to over-indulgers losing their licenses to drive when they get behind the wheel of a car stoned, or when an employer decides that off-site habits can effect on-site performance? Does an airline, for example, have a right to impose drug restrictions on pilots? A construction company on it's heavy equipment operators? How about a hospital's medical personnel, especially surgical staff?

If we are going to exercise the right, people have to take responsibility. If they can't then the stuff stays illegal.
    Everything goes back to property rights.

You don't have the right to to tell someone waht to put in their body.....but an employer can make conditions of contract of employment if you want to work, and finally, you can't force me to bankroll with my taxes someone who becomes a loser addict.

If those principles were followed for starters.......then you've got less of a problem.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Quote Originally Posted by Molon Labe View Post
    Everything goes back to property rights.

You don't have the right to to tell someone waht to put in their body.....but an employer can make conditions of contract of employment if you want to work, and finally, you can't force me to bankroll with my taxes someone who becomes a loser addict.

If those principles were followed for starters.......then you've got less of a problem.
    Agreed. Unfortunately, many of those who favor legalization of drugs are also hostile to property rights, and will use the opportunity created by the excesses of those who over-imbibe as a means to expand state power. The ultimate example of this was Prohibition, which expanded the law-enforcement apparatus of the US government and made the newly-created IRS a law-enforcement tool.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Doubtful. I'd guess that half the board would be okay with dumping the War on Drugs and legalizing weed.
    I'd now prefer they just legalize weed instead of this "medical marijuana" farce here in Colorado. It's a joke. In my opinion, it's having the effect of enticing people who wouldn't have wanted to smoke it, to try it because they believe the BS about how it cures almost everything. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Doubtful. I'd guess that half the board would be okay with dumping the War on Drugs and legalizing weed.
    Probably pretty close. I'm on the legalize side of the argument as well.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Probably pretty close. I'm on the legalize side of the argument as well.
    I'm on the fence. I'd have no problem with legalization if it couldn't be used to create another wave of entitlements and people were held accountable for their actions under the influence. I guess what it comes down to is that you can't have legal drugs and liberals at the same time.
    --Odysseus

Everybody brings up prohibition as an argument for why drugs should be legal. Stop and think of what was passed before prohibition. It was the 16th amendment. The government had another revenue stream. Fast forward a few years. What was going on in the country when prohibition ended? Why, it was the Great Depression. The .gov needed another revenue stream so prohibition was gone.

Sonnabend
    Only person making the conection to drugs is Wei. Wassamatta, Wei, your drug connection get busted?

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    I'm on the fence. I'd have no problem with legalization if it couldn't be used to create another wave of entitlements and people were held accountable for their actions under the influence. I guess what it comes down to is that you can't have legal drugs and liberals at the same time.

Very good point.

Weed would end up being a retail prescription drug paid for by the taxpayers and given to those that don't work.