Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Kobe beef: fact vs. fiction 
    Kobe beef: fact vs. fiction

Kobe cows are fed beer. False. Yoshinori Nakanishi says this myth started 30 years ago when a restaurant did a promotional stunt in which a Tajima cow was fed beer.

Kobe cows get regular massages. False. "If I massaged my herd of 170," says Nakanishi, "I'd have no time left for sleep."

Kobe cows listen to classical music. False. Nor do they listen to any other genre.

Kobe beef is sold outside Japan. False. No authentic Kobe beef is exported, mainly because of limited supply. Some restaurants abroad offer a cross between Wagyu and Angus cattle, which may amount to a Kobe-style beef.

There is no way to be certain that a piece of Kobe beef is genuine. False. This can be checked, using the 10-digit serial number that each animal has been issued, which can be checked on the Kobe Beef Marketing and Distribution Promotion Association's Web site: www.kobe-niku.jp

U.S. basketball player Kobe Bryant is named after Kobe beef. True. (And not vice versa.) The story goes that Kobe's father saw the item on a menu, thought it sounded cool and gave the name to his son. That has not, however, stopped Bryant from suing the city of Kobe because he feels the beef's name harms his own brand.
    Much more at the link. So much for the spa-cow stories. :(

Japan Times

Seriously? Kobe sued the city of Kobe because he was named after them? Does being rich make you retarded? Is that part of the contract? You get to be uber-rich, but they have to perform a lobotomy on you?
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

I think that last one is just a joke but who knows? Basketball players aren't known for their intellectual abilities. Most of them are functional illiterates.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    I think that last one is just a joke but who knows? Basketball players aren't known for their intellectual abilities. Most of them are functional illiterates.
    I thought this was going to a thread about the old rape allegations against Kobe. Talk about being disappointed.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

There was a Teppanyaki steakhouse in Hawaii that I used to frequent that prided itself on being "better than Benihana" that was called Kobe. Glad to know I shelled out more cash to eat in a half assed place that was just like Bennies. Not massaged cows my ass. :mad:
    "Don't vote. It only encourages the bastards." -PJ O'Roarke

Quote Originally Posted by marinejcksn View Post
    Not massaged cows my ass. :mad:
    I used to know a cow in the carnival that would message your ass. Big woman, didn't leave much room in the sleeper.:eek:

I don't even see how massaging a cow would work. Have you ever felt a cow? It's like touching a tractor. Cows are all bones and muscle - they're hard.

I did have a horse that drank Miller Light, though. Can't comment on the taste angle since I sold him.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I used to know a cow in the carnival that would message your ass. Big woman, didn't leave much room in the sleeper.:eek:
    Talking about my sister is off limits, read the rules!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by RobJohnson View Post
    Talking about my sister is off limits, read the rules!!!!
    :o

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

They have university degrees! They must be smart!