1. #1 Stephen Strasburg has torn ligament, out 12-18 months 
    Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Stephen Strasburg has a torn elbow ligament and most likely needs Tommy John surgery, bringing the pitcher's promising rookie season to an abrupt end.

Washington Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo said Friday an MRI on the right elbow revealed a "significant tear."

Strasburg will travel to the West Coast for a second opinion, but Rizzo anticipates the 22-year-old right-hander will need the operation that requires 12 to 18 months of rehabilitation.

"I look at the bright side," Rizzo said. "Tommy John surgery is a surgery that we've had great success at. The success rate for guys coming back from Tommy John and retaining their stuff is very good."

The No. 1 overall pick in the 2009 draft, Strasburg struck out 14 batters in a sensational major league debut in June. He is 5-3 with a 2.91 ERA and 92 strikeouts in 68 innings.

LINK
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

This is huge. This kind of surgery is a career changer. Most don't have the same velocity on their fastball. Tommy John himself went from being a power pitcher to a junk baller. I'm hoping the kid comes back. Now, I kind of blame his coaches for his injury. Watch his delivery. It's all arm. Power pitchers get their power from their legs. Watch Nolan Ryan. There's a reason why he lasted as long as he did.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    This is huge. This kind of surgery is a career changer. Most don't have the same velocity on their fastball. Tommy John himself went from being a power pitcher to a junk baller. I'm hoping the kid comes back. Now, I kind of blame his coaches for his injury. Watch his delivery. It's all arm. Power pitchers get their power from their legs. Watch Nolan Ryan. There's a reason why he lasted as long as he did.
    Strasburg's body has changed a lot too. He used to be overweight, and lost quite a bit in the past couple of years. Who knows if that had any impact or not.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

He's turning into the Mark Prior of this decade.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Wow. Out for pretty most, if not all of 2011 season.
    "Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives." Ronald Reagan

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    well surgries have gotten a hell of a lot better in the last 15 years. If Tommy John had the same surgery today, he would have been a much different pitcher.

prefect examples of this is ACL surgeries, 15 years ago guys would take up to two years to come back from it, IF they even did. now guys are back on the feild within 8-10 months (Al Harris, Aaron Kampman are examples) even if it takes another year for them to get back to form, they are on the field.

8 All Star pitchers this season had Tommy John surgery. He should be fine in a year or 2.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.