Thread: 47% Favor Government Mandated Political Balance on Radio, TV

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 47% Favor Government Mandated Political Balance on Radio, TV 
    47% Favor Government Mandated Political Balance on Radio, TV

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Nearly half of Americans (47%) believe the government should require all radio and television stations to offer equal amounts of conservative and liberal political commentary, but they draw the line at imposing that same requirement on the Internet. Thirty-nine percent (39%) say leave radio and TV alone, too.

At the same time, 71% say it is already possible for just about any political view to be heard in today’s media, according to a new Rasmussen Reports national telephone survey. Twenty percent (20%) do not agree.

Fifty-seven percent (57%) say the government should not require websites and blog sites that offer political commentary to present opposing viewpoints. But 31% believe the Internet sites should be forced to balance their commentary (full demographic crosstabs available for Premium Members.)
    It's sad to see so many of my fellow Americans clamoring for intellectual slavery.

Rasmussen

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's sad to see so many of my fellow Americans clamoring for intellectual slavery.

Rasmussen
    Nothing, in the free speech relam, should be regulated to this degree.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

eeeevil Sith Admin SarasotaRepub's Avatar
    That's bogus! I'm moving to Cuba if Bu$hCo lets this happen...
    :D
    May the FORCE be with you!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post

Rasmussen
    Very very sad to see.

That being said, I wonder if some other tactic of regulation isnt necessary to fix the media. There is no question that its broken. In a perfect world, we would all be smart enough to turn of the Fox News, the CNN's and the Rush Limbaughs.. we would get a decent media by voting with our dollar. However, we are not smart enough... apparently.

Profit motive ensures that we hear only what advertisers want us to hear. Government run media ensures we only hear what makes the politicians look good. Our current media (purveyors of false dichotomies, and advertising) are controlled and influenced heavily by both. We get the worst of both worlds, really.

Patent Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wilbur View Post
    That being said, I wonder if some other tactic of regulation isnt necessary to fix the media. There is no question that its broken. In a perfect world, we would all be smart enough to turn of the Fox News, the CNN's and the Rush Limbaughs.. we would get a decent media by voting with our dollar. However, we are not smart enough... apparently.
    So you believe that people who choose to listen to programs you find biased are stupid? I'm not smart enough to listen to entertaining radio without being brainwashed?

That kind of thinking is why so many people support government mandated 'fairness.'

To a certain degree this issue comes down to trust: the people who want this imposed don't trust their fellow citizens. If I don't think you are smart enough to appreciate my viewpoint or to let go of your own, I will get the government behind me and force you to be exposed to the correct views.

Government do-gooders are as oppressive as any other form of tyranny.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    That's just pathetic.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    So you believe that people who choose to listen to programs you find biased are stupid? I'm not smart enough to listen to entertaining radio without being brainwashed?
    Not just biased... filled with obvious fallacies and and often obvious misinformation from top to bottom. That wouldnt be so bad if it seemed most people were actually adept at picking these things out. As it is, the media is pretty much just a vehicle for shaping opinion by people with money... whats scary is that its so effective. I'm not sure how you can make it honest.

That kind of thinking is why so many people support government mandated 'fairness.'
    I'm not for govco 'mandated fairness'. That will simply give us government enforced false dichotomies. I'm sorry to say I don't really have many ideas for turning the media around, except through hoping people all of the sudden become much smarter. Thats a little like hoping we would wake up on day and people would be smart enough not to buy celebrity magazines or give a shit about paris hilton. Oh well, what can ya do?
    Last edited by wilbur; 08-14-2008 at 03:12 PM.

Dumb and silent sheep make for a good flock.
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

I wonder how the survey questions were worded? "Would you say that you would be in favor of the fairness doctrine if it aided stopping the wilfull slaughter of innocent puppies and kittens?"

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis