Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    And that makes it a non-racist action?
    Yes. African-American is a LOC classification. It is both reasonable and proper to have books that fall into said classification grouped together. I mean is it ageist to have all the kids books together? Or Sexist to have all the romance novels together??
    Stand up for what is right, even if you have to stand alone.

Quote Originally Posted by PoliCon View Post
    Yes. African-American is a LOC classification. It is both reasonable and proper to have books that fall into said classification grouped together. I mean is it ageist to have all the kids books together? Or Sexist to have all the romance novels together??
    But don't blacks span all those areas. Aren't there male and female blacks? Old and young blacks. Don't blacks need religious books and self help books like every other race and gender. I can understand a section for blacks that cater to specifics of the black experience but to take all these same books others read and separate them just because the author is black reeks of special treatment. Why don't we just have books stores for whites and some for latinos and some for blacks and some for asians? What about bath rooms? Perhaps we should return to the days of white and black bathrooms and white and black resturants.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Melvil Dewey had it right when he set up his decimal system for libraries.

http://members.socket.net/~mcruzan/images/allen-west.jpg

Four boxes keep us free: the soap box, the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Quote Originally Posted by warpig View Post
    I wish I was black............maybe then I could get a date with a white woman..................:D
    Only if her name is Lisa Lampinelli. As for an African American section, as was said, all book stores separate different genres. Christian books are segregated as are books in Spanish.
    Last edited by NJCardFan; 09-03-2010 at 12:21 PM.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Only if her name is Lisa Lampinelli. As for an African American section, as was said, all book stores separate different genres. Christian books are segregated as are books in Spanish.
    That I can understand, as I understand the need to separate children's books. I can even understand the separation of books that deal with specific African American issues, but in a lot of cases the books in the black section span genre's and are not specific to African American culture. Is there a need for a section entitled 'African American Literature'? Shouldn't there just be a Classic Literature section that contains black authors as well as authors of all other nationalities and races? I have never seen an Italian American Literature section in a book store. In fact I've never seen an Italian American section of any kind in a book store.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Are Christian books written by Black authors found in the Black section or Christian section?

I thought books were categorized by topic and type and not by the color of the author's skin.
    Education without values, as useful as it is, seems rather to make man a more clever devil.
    C. S. Lewis
    Do not ever say that the desire to "do good" by force is a good motive. Neither power-lust nor stupidity are good motives. (Are you listening Barry)?:mad:
    Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by marv View Post
    Melvil Dewey had it right when he set up his decimal system for libraries.
    His system sucks to be quite frank - which is why schools all over are switching to the far more functional LOC system.

Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    But don't blacks span all those areas. Aren't there male and female blacks? Old and young blacks. Don't blacks need religious books and self help books like every other race and gender. I can understand a section for blacks that cater to specifics of the black experience but to take all these same books others read and separate them just because the author is black reeks of special treatment. Why don't we just have books stores for whites and some for latinos and some for blacks and some for asians? What about bath rooms? Perhaps we should return to the days of white and black bathrooms and white and black resturants.
    If the primary focus of the book is or relates to 'african Americans' the books will be in the section - just like books who's primary focus is woman's issues will be found in the 'woman's issues' section and religious themed books are all in the religion section.

Quote Originally Posted by AmPat View Post
    Are Christian books written by Black authors found in the Black section or Christian section?

I thought books were categorized by topic and type and not by the color of the author's skin.
    I would imagine that that would depend on the books LOC number - which means it would depend at least in part on the choices and preferences of the author and publisher.

What we need are race licenses that tell us what words we are allowed to use, what books we can read and what dates we can safely have rallies on that aren't owned by other races. These new equal rights are hard to keep track of, there are so many different kinds of equal!