Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 85 fires in Detroit yesterday (mostly not arson) 
    Yesterday was the first day of the school year. There was a shooting outside of Mumford High School.

But there were 85 fires yesterday. I live just north of 8 Mile RD (the city line, for those who haven't seen the Eminem movie of that name), and could see and smell the smoke in the air from the fires in the 7 Mile/Mound area. I could also see the smoke from the 7 Mile/Van Dyke fires when I went to the dry cleaner. Most of the fires were caused by the wind blowing electrical wires down, but they spread fast.

www.clickondetroit.com

Natures way of instigating a bit of much needed urban redevelopment.
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

Some people in the Comments are blaming "power-jumpers" for at least part of the problem. I've got to say that I'm a little perplexed about the wind issue. We have extremely high winds out here: 70 mph gusts and above and very high sustained winds (45 mph+) yet we don't really have fires because of them. The lines can get knocked down, of course, and there's damage from falling trees or ripped up roofs but that's about it.

Why did so many fires happen?

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    Some people in the Comments are blaming "power-jumpers" for at least part of the problem. I've got to say that I'm a little perplexed about the wind issue. We have extremely high winds out here: 70 mph gusts and above and very high sustained winds (45 mph+) yet we don't really have fires because of them. The lines can get knocked down, of course, and there's damage from falling trees or ripped up roofs but that's about it.

Thats kind of like a northerner asking a southerner why they don't know how to drive on ice. You guys are used to high winds in that area, your structures are built to handle it, and it's effects.

Detroit is a rotting city that isn't like that at all. Unless your in the downtown metro area, very little is "modern".
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Yeah, what she said.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

We had a relatively major fire on this base a month or so ago, when high winds knocked a live power cable into a grassy area. Live electrical current + highly flamable materials = usually fire.

Bobcat on a pole
    Bobcat on a power pole starts 5-acre fire
    A bobcat climbing up a power pole started a fire that engulfed 5 acres of land in California - and paid the ultimate price. ...

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Oh, we're used to critters BBQing themselves but that usually just blows up little transformers. :p

I think that the people who lost their homes will likely be suing DTE. Some were claiming that they called the utility several times to report problems with the wires, even before the wind picked up yesterday. DTE states that they are investigating to see if they responded properly (a sort of admission, enough for Fieger to run with).

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    I can't believe you missed this one!
    http://www.metro.co.uk/weird/808171-...strial-grinder