Thread: Saturday Sports

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Gunners take first match of new season with 1-0 win over West Brom at the Emirates. Olympics? Whaz dat?
    Blackburn and Everton was an entertaining match.
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Space Gravy View Post
    Blackburn and Everton was an entertaining match.
    Indeed. Arteta's free kick was brilliant. Up next, Sunderland and Liverpool. It will be odd to see Robbie Keane in a Kop shirt.

Why watch national sports, particularly national team sports, when you can watch the Premiership? ManU is capable of defeating any national team around since they practice together constantly. That teamwork, particularly in soccer, makes the play so much more effective and entertaining.

Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    Indeed. Arteta's free kick was brilliant. Up next, Sunderland and Liverpool. It will be odd to see Robbie Keane in a Kop shirt.

Why watch national sports, particularly national team sports, when you can watch the Premiership? ManU is capable of defeating any national team around since they practice together constantly. That teamwork, particularly in soccer, makes the play so much more effective and entertaining.
    Somethings seem like they never change.

New and improved and ready for the top 4 Spurs underachieving again at M'brough and Fulham blowing a lead. They seem to have a mental block about conceeding from the 80th on.

I just noticed Sunderland has Diouf and Chimbonda now. I wonder if Keane's called Keegan about trying to get Joey Barton too? That'll build team chemistry.

Robbie Savage.....paging Robbie Savage.....please report to the Stadium of Light........
    2009 CU Pro Football Pick'em Champ

Banned
    I stayed up till 2am last night watching volleyball, swimming, ladies softball, and boxing. Watched 4 boxing matching; the judges and the point scoring are terrible. One match was more like a wrestling match because either one or both boxers wound up on the mat about 10 times. Both of them should have been DQ but it was very funny. Not into track and field which has just started but have thoroughly enjoyed the Olympics.
    Last edited by lacarnut; 08-16-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    Cool now but it will be hot again today. No forecast for rain except the possibility of a thundershower in the afternoon. The dogs have discovered the coolness of our new ground level residence. The ground floor is on a slab and was dug into the side of the mountain so three sides are largely below ground level. The floor stays nice and cool and yesterday was covered with hound dogs. They do enjoy their comfort. But of course, so do we.

TOTD: Is anyone watching the Olympics? I was glad to see the US come from behind and shock the French relay team in swimming. Thing is, I'm not really watching the games as in actually planning to watch a certain event at a certain time or setting the satellite to record a particular event. I watched a little of Brazil and Cameroon in soccer this morning and may try to catch some cycling later but I am just not into the Olympics.

I do love sports. College football and NFL football are my favorites. I do plan my schedule around certain games.

Alternate TOTD: What team or teams do you like?

I like the Florida NFL teams. I follow the Jags most closely but I am a long time Dolphin fan. And I love the NY Giants.
    TOTD and alternate TOTD: Yes, we watch the Olympics. but to be honest, before I met my lovely wife, I never was that "into" watching the Games...however, it is fun and exciting to watch the US of A kick butt (mostly).

I am a HUGE NFL junkie. To the point where I get excited over the summer when NFL Live comes on so I get my fix of league news, etc. I am a Steelers fan (I was born in Pittsburgh and my family is from there) but I also like the Dolphins. In fact, as a little kid growing up in south Fla and the Keys, my FIRST favorite NFL team in the 70's was--of course--the Miami Dolphins...back in the day when they kicked butt. (I am so gonna get punched for this comment when SHE reads this!)

Oh...Miami plays Jacksonville tonight and it is televised in our area, so this'll be fun tonight...go Fins!!!
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    It's still raining out here and we need it although I hate being inside during the summer. I had to kick on the fire last night. :eek:

I feel like making cookies but I don't usually go into cookie production until September. The dogs smell like wet dogs. I'm wearing long pants and real socks and slipping into a suicidal depression - at least for a couple of minutes. After that, I need to get back on track and clean the house. :D
    ... Record low maximum temperature set in Denver for August 16th...

The high temperature at Denver International Airport today was 58
    degrees.

This 58 degree reading will replace the previous low maximum
    temperature record for August 16th which was 63 degrees set 118
    years ago in 1890.
    darn that global warming!

Banned
    The New Orleans Saints looked good in a losing effort last night. Offense is hitting on all cylinders but their defense sucks. Duce M. is back at fullback after an injury caused him to miss most of the season and picking up Shockey was a good acquisition.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    I stayed up till 2am last night watching volleyball, swimming, ladies softball, and boxing. Watched 4 boxing matching; the judges and the point scoring are terrible. One match was more like a wrestling match because either one or both boxers wound up on the mat about 10 times. Both of them should have been DQ but it was very funny. Not into track and field which has just started but have thoroughly enjoyed the Olympics.

I pretty much hate sports that require judging. It is subjective even though there are objective standards and is therefore open to really bad decisions and horsetrading. I know some sports require judges but it can be frustrating.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!