Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Brits Mull Destroying Families Over Fatness. 
    Fat children ‘should be taken from parents’ to curb obesity epidemic

Council warning to families guilty of neglectJill Sherman, Whitehall Editor
    Grossly overweight children may be taken from their families and put into care if Britain’s obesity epidemic continues to escalate, council chiefs said yesterday.

The Local Government Association argued that parents who allowed their children to eat too much could be as guilty of neglect as those who did not feed their children at all.

The association said that until now there had been only a few cases when social services had intervened in obesity cases. But it gave warning that local councils may have to take action much more often and, if necessary, put obese children on “at risk” registers or take them into care. It called for new guidelines to be drawn up to help authorities deal with the issue.

There have been some reported cases where children under 10 have weighed up to 14st (89kg) and a three-year-old has weighed 10st – putting them at a high risk of diabetes and heart disease. Only last week a 15-year-old girl in Wales was told by doctors that she could “drop dead at any moment” after tipping the scales at 33st.

David Rogers, the Local Government Association’s public health spokesman, said that by 2012 an estimated million children would be obese and by 2025 about a quarter of all boys would be grossly overweight.

“Councils are increasingly having to consider taking action where parents are putting children’s health in real danger,” he said. “As the obesity epidemic grows, these tricky cases will keep on cropping up. Councils would step in to deal with an undernourished and neglected child, so should a case with a morbidly obese child be different? If parents consistently place their children at risk through bad diet and lack of exercise, is it right that a council should step in to keep the child’s health under review?”
    I think the dynamics involved with obesity are quite a bit different than the dynamics involved in child starvation. Starving kids won't reject food while fat kids will evade their parents to secure food. How much can a parent do about a kid who wants to eat?

The only thing that will turn this epidemic around is make the social costs as high as they were 40 years ago.

Obesity

A little off-topic but your post made me think of this. When I was at the grocery store yesterday, I was behind a young girl and her parents. The girl, who I'm guessing was maybe 8 or 9, was obese. I honestly don't notice a lot of obese kids but this one caught my attention. She was sitting in the cart (the large part, not the front where the toddlers sit). In fact, she was sitting on 2-24 packs of Coca-Cola. I found that funny. Anyway, what struck me was her parents. Both of her parents were in very good shape. They looked like athletes. Relatively toned, no major fat flabs hanging around anywhere. I couldn't figure out why they looked so good and this poor girl looked like she could be rolled out of the store.

That's what happens when you make those kids stop smoking.

Hopefully the US follows suit. Childhood obesity is child abuse brought on by lazy parents. Period.
    **** Obama and **** you too.

CU Poll: Who was fatter as a kid...Shannon or Owl?

Quote Originally Posted by OwlMBA View Post
    Hopefully the US follows suit. Childhood obesity is child abuse brought on by lazy parents. Period.
    What about medical conditions?
    They're not people, they're hippies!! -Cartman

It is nothing against you to fall down flat, but to lie there - that's disgrace

Banned
    Teach kids and parents about nutrition. I pass by several schools every day and I see kids jogging at the public and private schools. Phys Ed programs would help. Yanking them away from their parents is a horrible answer to the problem.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    Teach kids and parents about nutrition. I pass by several schools every day and I see kids jogging at the public and private schools. Phys Ed programs would help. Yanking them away from their parents is a horrible answer to the problem.
    I agree but I don't understand how anybody could not be educated about it at this point.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    CU Poll: Who was fatter as a kid...Shannon or Owl?
    I vote Owl. He has a vendetta against all fat people.obviously a deep seated childhood issue
    whereas I think Shannon probably only got obese after she hit menopause (hormones ya know)
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.

Goldwater
    Quote Originally Posted by lacarnut View Post
    It's more than that, a child or an adult cannot get that fat without noticing, in other words they are getting fat and are too lazy or comfortable being that way. It's a complex problem, and I feel sorry for the kids who get spoilt with too much food - and the wrong kind at that.