Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Feds Spent $800,000 of Economic Stimulus on African Genital-Washing Program 
    Your tax dollars at work!

The genitalia-washing program is part of a larger $12-million UCLA study examining how to better encourage Africans to undergo voluntary HIV testing and counseling – however, only the penis-washing study received money from the 2009 economic stimulus law. The washing portion of the study is set to end in 2011.

“NIH Announces the Availability of Recovery Act Funds for Competitive Revision Applications,” the grant abstract states. “We propose to evaluate the feasibility of a post-coital genital hygiene study among men unwilling to be circumcised in Orange Farm, South Africa.”

Because AIDS researchers have been unsuccessful in convincing most adult African men to undergo circumcision, the UCLA study proposes to determine whether researchers can develop an after-sex genitalia-washing regimen that they can then convince uncircumcised African men to follow.

“The aim of the proposed feasibility study is to evaluate the feasibility and acceptability of a post-coital male genital hygiene procedure, which participants will be asked to practice immediately post-coitus or at least 12 hours after,” reads the abstract.
    Entitled “Community-Based HIV VCT: South Africa,” the name of the broader umbrella project, the program plans to test how well received the penis-washing regimen is among South African men.

If most of the men in the study wash their genitals after sex, are willing to do so after the study ends, and report that their partners accept the regimen, the researchers will develop another study to see if the “penile cleansing procedure” actually works to prevent HIV infections.
    Whole story here

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis

*twitch*
    In most sports, cold-cocking an opposing player repeatedly in the face with a series of gigantic Slovakian uppercuts would get you a multi-game suspension without pay.

In hockey, it means you have to sit in the penalty box for five minutes.

So, we are seriously going to rely on male hygiene to prevent disease?

Seriously? :eek:

My tax dollars going to keep basic measures in place to reduce death and disease for at-risk populations?

Sure, lot better than it going to make a yaht payment for some 22 year old who inherited daddy's portfolio.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    My tax dollars going to keep basic measures in place to reduce death and disease for at-risk populations?
    Right, keep throwing money at the problem. That's always the answer. And I don't mean just this problem.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post

Sure, lot better than it going to make a yaht payment for some 22 year old who inherited daddy's portfolio.
    Do you have any idea what standard of pussy you can score on a yacht? All a matter of perspective my man.

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
    Do you have any idea what standard of pussy you can score on a yacht? All a matter of perspective my man.
    Are you in high school?

Speedy has "No Homo" tattoed on his back and is behind on his mortage because his payments are so high on his pontiac firebird with "Pussy Wagon" painted across the side. A Cool Dude.

Wei Wei needs to volunteer to go to Africa as a professional ball washer!:D

I don't doubt the necessity of a program like this in Africa (where access to clean water is probably a contributing factor), I just question whether stimulus money should have been used for funding. It seems like more of a UN kind of thing, to me.

Unless, of course, the underlying goal is to get africans to buy american-made condoms or soap. :)