Thread: Sunday Silence

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Sunday Silence 
    Banned
    Another gorgeous day here in the Insurance Capital of the World. I'm heading off to the Beantown 'Burbs this afternoon, rather than tomorrow morning, as I've got a major presentation tomorrow morning to the client (note to self: refrain from scheduling presentations on Monday mornings). However, I'm back here this week as I have a job interview with another consulting firm.

I've been with my current company over three years now and it's starting to be that time. The longest I've ever worked for one company (other than my own) was five years, but the average tends to be around three. As Bob said...

Everytime they were sure
    they had you caught
    You were quicker than they thought
    You'd just turn your back and walk
    You always said
    The cards would never do you wrong
    The trick you said
    was never play the game too long
    The plethora of sport on this weekend -- Phelps' gold, Gunners rampant (well, 1-0 over West Brom :eek:), both Chelsea and ManU today -- reminded me that tomorrow is the sixth anniversary of the death of Sunday Silence....

Sunday Silence finally lost his battle with laminitis today, suffering a fatal heart attack. The 16-year-old had been ill since May with an infection in his right leg which brought on laminitis in his left leg recently. His owners had been discussing whether to euthanize him or not for days, but finally on Monday he lay down in his stall, could not get back up, and eventually died of heart failure. He had been in a lot of pain which required strong pain killers to be administered.

To me, Sunday Silence embodied courage, will and resolve and I remember crying when he died. Always the underdog, he was sold at auction as a two year old for $32,000 and soon bought back by his original owner for $15,000. In transport, he was almost killed when his trailer overturned. He went into the '89 Kentucky Derby as a strong underdog against Easy Goer who had Pat Day aboard. Yet, in the mud, down the stretch, he overtook Easy Goer to take the roses.

And then came the best of all. I was at the Preakness that year and, again, Easy Goer with Pat Day was favored, despite finishing second at the Derby. And, for most of the race, it looked as if the oddsmakers were right, as Easy Goer seemed to be having an easy go of it; Sunday Silence lagged towards the back for most of the race. But, coming up to the final turn, he began making up ground. Pimlico is a small track with sharp turns and as they came around the final one, Sunday Silence was forced a bit wide, but kept gaining ground, amazingly charging from next to last to next to first. In the stretch, he caught Easy Goer and took the Black Eyed Susans by a nose.

For reasons that I still don't fathom, it was at that point I decided that life was too short to live it amongst the 30 year fixed set. At that very point, the courage of that big black throughbred inspired me to abandon everything I had worked and lived for in a quest for I still don't know what. Oh yes, the stirrings had always been there, haunted as I was by Prufrock's words, but watching Sunday Silence take that race crystalized them to action.

Which, as you knew it would, leads me to the...

TOTD: Have you ever made a life-changing decision based upon something completely external and unrelated to the decision? If so what? And what linkage do you now see, looking back, between the event and your decision?

So every year around this time, I think of Sunday Silence, out of Wishing Well by Halo, and smile a bit at the irony of life. Easy Goer went on to soundly beat him in the Belmont, denying Sunday Silence the Triple Crown. However, he did come back to win the Breeders Cup and was named Horse of the Year. Retired to stud (not a bad life), he set records for the worth of his progeny.

As for me, my decision led to The Wasteland where, according to Joseph Campbell, the hero must wander before achieving his life's desire. In my case, the wasteland was physical as well as spiritual...

And, in one of the ironies of life, the framed photo of Sunday Silence taking the Preakness (a better one than that above) that I took with me, was lost, along with several other important treasures (including a set of Fawlty Towers) when I left the Moroccan. Once again, illustrating the transitory nature of material things and, perhaps, providing a pattern to the workings of the universe.

I grow old I grow old
    I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.

Shall I part my hair behind? Do I dare to eat a peach?
    I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach
    Last edited by Cold Warrior; 08-17-2008 at 09:39 AM.

Two days away from a possible hurricane (albeit, probably a weak One or a strong tropical storm) hitting the area and I need to mow the grass and pick up some supplies.

TOTD: Huh, what? Horse racing....? I haven't had enough coffee yet to get through all twelve paragraphs with pictures included. Did I mention NFL preseason happened last night (and Friday?)? The Dolphins won last night against the Jags....Pennington looked decent, and the rookie kid, Henne, shows some promise. He impressed me last night. And good ol' Ricky Williams looked like old Ricky (minus the bong). The Jax Jags looked flat...unenthusiastic. For the Fins sake I hope last night was not a fluke. I know the Jags will fix things.
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    I have to deal with DS and his hurricane preparation today. I don't even want to see the receipt when he returns from Lowe's.

TOTD: Not that I can think of.
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I have to deal with DS and his hurricane preparation today. I don't even want to see the receipt when he returns from Lowe's.

TOTD: Not that I can think of.
    I lived in FL for almost three decades and owned two houses during that time. We never once did any preparations for hurricanes other than stocking up on groceries, batteries, etc. and simple precautions like putting the lawn furniture into the garage. And I never suffered any significant damage during all that time. Are hurricanes getting worse these days (global warming/cooling :eek:) or is there simply more hype about them? I know, watching CNN, they seem to fixate on "extreme weather."

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cold Warrior View Post
    I lived in FL for almost three decades and owned two houses during that time. We never once did any preparations for hurricanes other than stocking up on groceries, batteries, etc. and simple precautions like putting the lawn furniture into the garage. And I never suffered any significant damage during all that time. Are hurricanes getting worse these days (global warming/cooling :eek:) or is there simply more hype about them? I know, watching CNN, they seem to fixate on "extreme weather."
    I never "prepared" for them either. I've lived here since 91 and despite all the hype (Floyd especially) we never got more than severe thunderstorms. Then Charley came. DS is convinced that Tristan and I would've died if it wasn't for his preparedness. (I was making fun of him stocking up on everything) So now, even though we've had nothing since 04, I have to hear "Remember Charley?!" for the rest of my life.:p
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    I never "prepared" for them either. I've lived here since 91 and despite all the hype (Floyd especially) we never got more than severe thunderstorms. Then Charley came. DS is convinced that Tristan and I would've died if it wasn't for his preparedness. (I was making fun of him stocking up on everything) So now, even though we've had nothing since 04, I have to hear "Remember Charley?!" for the rest of my life.:p
    Hardy-freakin-har har. That's what I get for being your personal Boy Scout...I see how it is...but you'll see...You Will See!!!! :eek:
    "The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." H.P. Lovecraft in Supernatural Horror in Literature

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

TOTD: When the carnies came to town and I saw how they lived I decided I wanted to be amongst the 30 year fixed set.

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkScribe View Post
    Hardy-freakin-har har. That's what I get for being your personal Boy Scout...I see how it is...but you'll see...You Will See!!!! :eek:
    You keep bein' prepared there DS. Remember, they laughed at the Liittle French Boy with his finger in the dyke..... Where was I going with that...?

Dang!

Anyway, don't forget duct tape and shotgun shells.
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Isolated Mountain Range in Eastern Nevada
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba Dawg View Post
    You keep bein' prepared there DS. Remember, they laughed at the Liittle French Boy with his finger in the dyke..... Where was I going with that...?

Dang!

Anyway, don't forget duct tape and shotgun shells.
    I think you just called Shannon Fat ..again..
    I smile because I don't know what the heck is going on.