Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 What are the merits and principles of Libertarianism? 
    I've been quite critical of libertarianism, but rather than drawing from my interpretation of libertarian texts, I 'd like to hear from people whom are able to receive counter-points

i'm not pushing FOR any particular ideology in this thread, just offering an alternative perspective and possible critique of libertarianism.

a perfect thread for those who are sure they believe the core principles are most important

Guns. Good.
    Drugs. Good.
    Small Gov't. Good.
    Abortion. Meh.
    Religion. Meh.
    Wee wu's. Bad.

A real Libertarian can clean that up if they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I've been quite critical of libertarianism, but rather than drawing from my interpretation of libertarian texts, I 'd like to hear from people whom are able to receive counter-points

i'm not pushing FOR any particular ideology in this thread, just offering an alternative perspective and possible critique of libertarianism.

a perfect thread for those who are sure they believe the core principles are most important
    Easy. I'm glad you asked. I'm assuming you mean by the question, what does it mean to me?

• It means no busy-body nanny state- appointed dickhead breathing down my neck at every turn.
    • It means I can do whatever I want, provided it doesn't mess anyone else up.
    • It means not having a camera constantly shoved in my face.
    • It means not being put in a position where I'm legally unable to defend myself.
    • It means not having to prove my identity to anyone asking for it without cause.
    • It means reasonable laws being made that don't infringe on my liberty, and it means repeal of any laws that do.
    I could go on all fucking day.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

You wouldn't understand a thing about it, WeeWee.

You can't even take a dump without government help.

rm -rf obama*

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post

Why don't you respond to the other posts you have questions waiting in before starting new threads?

I'll put it simply, people should be free to do whatever they want as long as it doesn't infringe on anyone elses life, liberty, or property through force or fraud. I can't break it down any more than that.
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

It's like if you combine the civil liberties stance that Democrats don't actually practice with the small-government stance that Republicans don't actually practice.

The basic premise of Libertarian philosophy is that all rights begin with the right to live. In order to sustain life, you therefore must be able to create the means to survive, to use them and dispose of them. Thus, the right to live creates the corollary right to create and own property. Any infringement of this right is therefore an infringement of the right to live. The next corollary right is the right to self defense, to include defense of yourself and those for whom you are responsible, such as family, and the defense of property, because property is the means by which we sustain life. All other rights are derived from these basic rights.

Now, there are pro-life Libertarians (Ron Paul, for example) and pro-choice Libertarians. There are religious Libertarians and non-religious Libertarians. In fact, there are Libertarians on both sides of most philosophical issues, but the core issues remain the right to live, to create and own, and to defend yourself and what is yours.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Sonnabend
    <
    It mean no busy-body nanny state- appointed dickhead breathing down my neck at every turn.It means I can do whatever I want, provided it doesn't mess anyone else up.
    It means not having a camera constantly shoved in my face.
    It means not being put in a position where I'm legally unable to defend myself.
    It means not having to prove my identity to anyone asking for it without cause.
    It means reasonable laws being made that don't infringe on my liberty, and it means repeal of any laws that do.
    <== what he said.

Sonnabend
    The right to read whatever I goddamned well please
    The right to play whatever games I damned well like
    To be treated as a responsible adult with brains instead of a five year old needing to be led and nannied all day long..if I wanna buy fireworks whilst wearing a Colt. 45 in a quickdraw holster, that should be my right.

No banned books

No banned games

No banned music

No censorship (within reasonable limits)