Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    Can you explain how property rights asre a corollary of the right to life?

How about you answer some others questions before you get to ask some more? what do you think these people are your puppets?

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    How about you answer some others questions before you get to ask some more? what do you think these people are your puppets?
    I'm perfectly willing to educate Wei. It's clear that this has been left up to professional academics up until now, with result that Wei has never really had libertarian or conservative philosophy explained to him except by people who are openly hostile to those ideas. As long as he's polite and not looking to sharpshoot, I'll go on the assumption that he really wants to hear what it is that his professors were afraid to tell him.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Think Somalia without the beaches.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Think Somalia without the beaches.
    You confuse anarchy with liberty. Liberty requires government, but it's limited in scope and defined by clear rules. Anarchy is what happens when teenage jihadis get their daily allowance of khat and go shooting up the local marketplace in the name of Allah.
    --Odysseus

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    You confuse anarchy with liberty. Liberty requires government, but it's limited in scope and defined by clear rules. Anarchy is what happens when teenage jihadis get their daily allowance of khat and go shooting up the local marketplace in the name of Allah.
    Government isn't the answer; government is the problem.

Or so I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Arroyo_Doble View Post
    Government isn't the answer; government is the problem.

Or so I've heard.
    You heard what you wanted to hear. To a liberal, anarchy and liberty are interchangeable, because he never goes back to the first question, which is, what is the purpose of government? To the left, it is a combination of God, Santa Claus and Superman, capable of regulating every activity that they despise (economic activity, political dissent) while incapable of regulating those things that they enjoy (sex, drugs and anything that insults or undermines the values of their neighbors).

Jefferson saw government as a necessary evil, the operative word being "necessary," and eloquently explained its function in the Declaration of Independence:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.
    But Washington said it best:

"Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master."
    --George Washington

Neither Washington nor Jefferson opposed government, but the certainly opposed tyrannical government, government which had the power to give people everything that they wanted, at the cost of being powerful enough to take everything that they have, i.e., the kind of government that liberals love, right up until they end up under its guns.
    --Odysseus

Quote Originally Posted by Wei Wu Wei View Post
    I've been quite critical of libertarianism, but rather than drawing from my interpretation of libertarian texts, I 'd like to hear from people whom are able to receive counter-points

i'm not pushing FOR any particular ideology in this thread, just offering an alternative perspective and possible critique of libertarianism.

a perfect thread for those who are sure they believe the core principles are most important

Guess by the traffic and the debate or lack of on this thread, you really didn't want to discuss the merits of libertarianism.
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor