Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Family unaware 'dream home' belonged to a serial killer 
    Family unaware 'dream home' belonged to a serial killer

Julie Hayden Reporter

September 16, 2010
    Family unaware 'dream home' belonged to a serial killer

BROOMFIELD, Colo. - A Broomfield family thought they were getting into their dream home, but their real estate agent and seller never told them it was a house of horrors.

About a month after they moved in to the home near 144th Avenue and Huron Street, a neighbor told them that convicted serial killer Scott Lee Kimball was the last person to live there and very well could have committed murder inside.

Rita and Anthony Bucklew, moving here from California, thought the property had everything they needed for their large extended family.

"It had everything we ever wanted in a home," said Rita Bucklew.

They were leasing it with a contract to buy.

The Bucklews say the real estate agent and the home seller never told them about Kimball.

"You got a man that's killing women, you should at least have the decency to tell us this man is killing girls," said Anthony Bucklew. "God knows what he did to them, you probably don't want to live here."

They were horrified to find internet stories showing the FBI digging for bodies in their new backyard.

"There are pictures of this house, this guy's a mass murderer and these people didn't tell us anything," Anthony said.

Kimball is already serving time for killing four people.

He's suspected of sexually torturing, mutilating and strangling another young woman before cutting off her hands.

And the FBI is investigating him for at least three additional murders as well.

The Bucklews say when they called broker Micki Carwin to try to get out of their lease, she said the owner would drop the price $200,000 and pay for a "cleansing service" to get rid of bad spirits.

She told FOX31 News she did not know about Kimball. A lawyer for the California homeowner would not comment.

Colorado law does not require realtors to disclose facts like this before selling a home.

:eek:

KDVR

I'm surprised Colorado doesn't have those types of disclosure laws.

Oh well...

Part of me has some sympathy in that they lost the opportunity to get a bargain by negotiating the price down, but the other part says caveat emptor. If you are outside the locality then the least you should do, before committing this sort of money, is some proper research.

They only have to disclose "defects". This might be a defect under that provision - I'm sure somebody is lawyering up.

This is big news out here today because everybody is tired of talking about what an idiot Maes turned out to be. Also, Colorado doesn't have an unlimited supply of grisly murderers and Kimball is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap View Post
    They only have to disclose "defects". This might be a defect under that provision - I'm sure somebody is lawyering up.

This is big news out here today because everybody is tired of talking about what an idiot Maes turned out to be. Also, Colorado doesn't have an unlimited supply of grisly murderers and Kimball is still alive.
    Unlike Wisconsin which seems to have an oversupply of cannibalistic serial killers. Perhaps there should be some scheme to share them out.

Quote Originally Posted by bijou View Post
    Unlike Wisconsin which seems to have an oversupply of cannibalistic serial killers. Perhaps there should be some scheme to share them out.
    It's probably buried in the Health Care Reform bill. They're redistributing everything else over here.

One would think that the use of rotting corpses as insulation would be considered a defect... :D

Seriously, the issue here is that the home was a locally notorious crime scene. If that leads to increased public scrutiny of the property or curiosity-seekers climbing over the fence, it's an impact on the quality of life of the buyers, and is therefore actionable.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Banned
    Part of me has some sympathy in that they lost the opportunity to get a bargain by negotiating the price down, but the other part says caveat emptor. If you are outside the locality then the least you should do, before committing this sort of money, is some proper research.
    Get a grip man, you cant really research something like this unless you 1) stumble on it or 2) are crazy. How could you not say its the realtor's fault?
    Last edited by KhrushchevsShoe; 09-18-2010 at 01:20 AM. Reason: Retarded mod

The seller did actually offer to reduce the price by some huge amount.

The seller did actually offer to reduce the price by some huge amount.
    That alone should be enough for the buyers to get out of the deal. The seller probably couldn't give it away with the previous history.

I can't fault the buyers. They were moving from out of state. Who would think to check for previous mass murderers in the house? They made the mistake to trust a real estate agent. I was guilty of that and got burned by a real shark down here. Still trying to figure out a way to lawyer up w/o spending more than we lost.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

" To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

"
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"