Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 McCain Is Not Baptized--That Will Have Them Shitting in the Pews! 
    As usual DU runs with something without checking it out!

DemocracyInaction (1000+ posts)
    Original message
    McCain Is Not Baptized--That Will Have Them Shitting in the Pews!

Did you catch that last night on CNN right before the forum in a "run down" on McCain's religion by Dana Bash? McCain is NOT baptized. As a card carrying Christian let me tell you what that means: Remember Johnny's remark about being forgiven and saved? NO DEAL---you have to believe and be baptized! That's the rules. He even has that f**ked up! Now why would a person who truly believes and is that old still not be baptized---and a member of a Baptist Church to boot!! Point blank: Johnny is like Georgie, like Georgie's Daddy, like Ronnie the Dumb---they wouldn't know the inside of a church if they fell over it, so to speak. They go there for photo ops during campaign season (in fact Bash even talked about how he takes the press along to church). When are these Christian right-wingers going to pull their crosses out of their asses and figure out these guys play them and their social paranoia like a violin (and laugh at them behind their backs)!!! Let the word go out unto the land: HE AIN'T BAPTIZED!!!
    CitizenPatriot (333 posts)
    Response to Original message
    7. should he pull out now?

between this and his birth certificate in panama, the guy is looking iffy.

I think the mistake that happened for mccain last night is that any real christian could see that he had no unternal understanding of the bible or what it means to aspire to be christ-like. he said "defeat" evil, he has decided who is evil (only god can do that) and that they deserve to be punished, he is vengeful and holds a grudge and is dishonest. and now

he's not baptized.

buh bye my FRIEND
    TomInTib
    Response to Original message
    10. I grew up Southern Baptist.

And if you haven't been baptized (at least once), you better be up for some eternal damnation.
    What about compulsive lying TiT??

Mccain was Christened an Episcopalian as a baby and the last I read had not elected to be reBaptised in the church he attends now.

On Wednesday, he told reporters that he had been baptized in Panama, where he was born, and talked about a photo in his memoirs of himself as a baby in a baptismal gown, with his father and grandfather.
    "It's like a dress," he chuckled.

But he was more guarded about his current plans with regard to baptism, calling them "a private thing."
    "I've been in discussions with Pastor Yeary, and we'll continue those discussions," he said. "It's a personal thing, it's a very personal thing concerning my faith and I am proud of my faith, I am proud of my belief and the sustenance and the redemption that I have received.

"And my faith was tested in extraordinary fashion and it was my faith that got me through not the next day, or the next hour but the next minute."
    no shitty pews, DU. Wind down.

Their lack of knowledge of Christianity should be embarrassing.

The thief on the cross next to Jesus WASN'T BAPTIZED. Jesus told him that today you will be with me in paradise.

It is by Grace you are saved. I used to teach the Baptist Faith and Message, the fundamental doctrinal document of the Baptist denomination, in a Southern Baptist church to adults. Baptism is NOT a requirement of salvation.
    Last edited by M21; 08-17-2008 at 09:36 PM. Reason: sp
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Ha! They have quoted my article over there three times!

Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    Their lack of knowledge of Christianity should be embarrassing.

The thief on the cross next to Jesus WASN'T BAPTIZED. Jesus told him that today you will be with me in paradise.

It is by Grace you are saved. I used to teach the Baptist Faith and Message, the fundamental doctrinal document of the Baptist denomination, in a Southern Baptist church to adults. Baptism is NOT a requirement of salvation.
    Sorry, but you are the one who should be embarrassed. Baptism only became the method of salvation after the New Testament came into force. That occurred after Jesus died. When he said that to the thief on the cross, Jesus was still very much alive and everyone was still living under the old covenant. Baptism was not necessary for salvation yet. You can not name one person, that the NT describes as being saved, where baptism wasn't done immediately after believing.

The day of Pentecost occurred after Jesus' death so baptism was now essential.

Acts 2:37-41
    37 Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?
    38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
    39 For the promise is unto you, and to your children, and to all that are afar off, even as many as the LORD our God shall call.
    40 And with many other words did he testify and exhort, saying, Save yourselves from this untoward generation.
    41 Then they that gladly received his word were baptized: and the same day there were added unto them about three thousand souls.

When the crowd asked the question how to be saved, they got a point blank answer and I will never understand why people just dont accept what Peter answered but instead pervert the truth. Peter was an apostle with more understanding than you and I put together will ever have. Why didnt he just tell them to believe and they would be saved? Because there is more to it than that.

Why did the Ethiopian Eunuch and Philip have the following conversation in Acts 8:36-38 if he didn't understand that baptism was required?

36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
    37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
    38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

In verse 37, after the Eunuch believed, they immediately went in to the water for baptism.

Even if baptism had been essential when Jesus talked to the thief on the cross, Jesus has power that you and I do not have. We are not able to declare someone free of sin and give them a ticket to heaven.

But instead, after his death he gave the remaining eleven apostles this charge in Mark 16:16.

16 He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned.

Was Jesus mistaken? Was he confused? The implication is clear. Belief leads to baptism. No belief leads to no baptism and eternal damnation.

Then what was this?

matthew 3

13Then cometh Jesus from Galilee to Jordan unto John, to be baptized of him.

14But John forbad him, saying, I have need to be baptized of thee, and comest thou to me?

15And Jesus answering said unto him, Suffer it to be so now: for thus it becometh us to fulfil all righteousness. Then he suffered him.

16And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him

There are some Christians at DU. Some even agree that only God is the only one who can say if someone is a Christian or not. Then of course there are some of the liberal Christians who say that conservative can't be Christians because they don't follow the bible as liberals have interpreted it.

However it never fails to amaze me that the athiests on DU seem to think that they know and understand the bible and can pass judgement on conservative Christians.

This is just another example of this.

I sure hope (and pray) that if there are liberals over there that are interested in Christianity and being saved that they ARE NOT listening to the athiests. They have proven to be extremely ignorant abot Christianity.

Quote Originally Posted by raiderguy8 View Post
    Sorry, but you are the one who should be embarrassed.....
    Are you saying that baptism is essential for salvation?

Because in the Baptist denomination which John McCain identifies himself it is NOT.
    Last edited by M21; 08-17-2008 at 10:33 PM. Reason: add
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

You Say The Battle Is Over

Senior Betwixt Member Bubba Dawg's Avatar
    In my own private Alamo on The Mountain in Georgia
    Confucious say, He who shit in pew must sit it pew......
    Hey careful man! There's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by M21 View Post
    Are you saying that baptism is essential for salvation?

Because in the Baptist denomination which John McCain identifies himself it is NOT.
    This is one of the most debated issues in Christiandom and thus different denomimations have different views on baptism. Bottom line is (in my opinion) that Salvation is by faith alone and not through works. To make Baptism necessary to Salvation makes it a work and that is in contradiction with the doctrine of Salvation by Faith. With that said, I believe that the Grace of God will cause the saved individual to seek the rite of Baptism and confess and renounce their sins before God. Because McCain has not felt it necessary to seek Baptism causes me to question the nature of his beliefs and where his heart really lies.

I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis