Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 33
  1. #11  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,518
    He may not have had a "Baptist" baptism, but he was born and raised in the Episcopal Church. He has at least had that form of baptism (which, in my Episcopalian eyes, is entirely sufficient).
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    This is one of the most debated issues in Christiandom and thus different denomimations have different views on baptism. Bottom line is (in my opinion) that Salvation is by faith alone and not through works. To make Baptism necessary to Salvation makes it a work and that is in contradiction with the doctrine of Salvation by Faith. With that said, I believe that the Grace of God will cause the saved individual to seek the rite of Baptism and confess and renounce their sins before God. Because McCain has not felt it necessary to seek Baptism causes me to question the nature of his beliefs and where his heart really lies.
    Absolutely Sir. Well said.
    At least once every human should have to run for his life, to teach him that milk does not come from supermarkets, that safety does not come from policemen, that news is not something that happens to other people. ~ Robert Heinlein

    You Say The Battle Is Over
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #13  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,518
    But I have never "found it necessary to seek baptism", either. My parents took care of that for me, when I was an infant.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #14  
    Patent Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    This is one of the most debated issues in Christiandom and thus different denomimations have different views on baptism. Bottom line is (in my opinion) that Salvation is by faith alone and not through works. To make Baptism necessary to Salvation makes it a work and that is in contradiction with the doctrine of Salvation by Faith. With that said, I believe that the Grace of God will cause the saved individual to seek the rite of Baptism and confess and renounce their sins before God. Because McCain has not felt it necessary to seek Baptism causes me to question the nature of his beliefs and where his heart really lies.
    So only people who have been baptized as adults are forgiven?

    Personally, "I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins."
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #15  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,518
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    So only people who have been baptized as adults are forgiven?

    Personally, "I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins."
    Yeah.... that line sounds sort of familiar to me, too..... ;)
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #16  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,439
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    So only people who have been baptized as adults are forgiven?

    Personally, "I acknowledge one baptism for the remission of sins."
    This issue as been debated for two thousand years. Is merely being baptized enough or does one have to choose to be baptized? Some groups don't recognize infant baptism because a conscience choice wasn't not made. An infant can not form the required intention necessary to renouce it's sinful nature. Here is a question, if one is baptized as an infant and God doesn't recognize it as a valid choice, was the infant really baptized?

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #17  
    Patent Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Iowa
    Posts
    1,784
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    This issue as been debated for two thousand years. Is merely being baptized enough or does one have to choose to be baptized? Some groups don't recognize infant baptism because a conscience choice wasn't not made. An infant can not form the required intention necessary to renouce it's sinful nature. Here is a question, if one is baptized as an infant and God doesn't recognize it as a valid choice, was the infant really baptized?
    Theological debate aside, McCain is far from the first president to have been baptized as an infant. I would guess that all of the Episcopalian presidents (and Catholic president) did not go through adult baptism.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #18  
    Power CUer
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    11,518
    Quote Originally Posted by FlaGator View Post
    This issue as been debated for two thousand years. Is merely being baptized enough or does one have to choose to be baptized? Some groups don't recognize infant baptism because a conscience choice wasn't not made. An infant can not form the required intention necessary to renouce it's sinful nature. Here is a question, if one is baptized as an infant and God doesn't recognize it as a valid choice, was the infant really baptized?
    Either way, is it a requirement for the presidency of the United States? I can't find that anywhere.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #19  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,439
    Quote Originally Posted by biccat View Post
    Theological debate aside, McCain is far from the first president to have been baptized as an infant. I would guess that all of the Episcopalian presidents (and Catholic president) did not go through adult baptism.
    I am Episcopal/Anglican but I do not believe that infant baptism is valid. This is my opinion and I do not expect others to see it as I do. I base my opinion on the fact that no infants were mentioned being baptized in the Bible but I also understand that just because it is not mentioned it doesn't exclude the practice either. I was Baptized as an adult. I was able to make a choice and publicly renounce my sinful behavior. Now if someone was Baptized as an infant and lived a life devoted to Christ and doing His will then all things are good and that is the way God wanted it. But just because someone was Baptized and goes to Church regulary doesn't mean that they are saved either. How one lives his or her life determines if they are saved or not. It is the fruit of the spirit that establish one's faith. "By their fruit you shall know them." If there is no fruit then it is safe to assume that their is no redemption.
    Last edited by FlaGator; 08-18-2008 at 11:32 AM.

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #20  
    Power CUer FlaGator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    The Swamps of N. Florida
    Posts
    22,439
    Quote Originally Posted by linda22003 View Post
    Either way, is it a requirement for the presidency of the United States? I can't find that anywhere.
    Did I say that it was?

    I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else.
    C. S. Lewis
    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •