Thread: Quick Easy Meals

Hybrid View

1. #1 Quick Easy Meals 
    These are "hair" sheep that don't need to be sheared every year, they are my newest additions.

Don't worry Shannon these ones get to live, but their children are lunch!:D
    Last edited by Rockntractor; 09-19-2010 at 01:04 AM.

NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Yum !! They look absolutely delicious. I'm thinking either mint or redcurrant sauce, possibly even both.
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.

I had been buying them almost ready to butcher and then finishing them on corn because I don't like to shear them and then I found out about these hair sheep, they will be my breeding stock. I might have to buy a couple of wethers to butcher for this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I had been buying them almost ready to butcher and then finishing them on corn because I don't like to shear them and then I found out about these hair sheep, they will be my breeding stock. I might have to buy a couple of wethers to butcher for this year.
    Interesting. Will you butcher them yourself, or do they get to take a short and gloomy ride to the abattoir when the time comes?

I saw a pig (sorry, Rock :p) being butchered on a family farm in France one time. It was surprisingly humane. I don't think the beastie knew what was going on ... a lot of splashing sounds but no struggling ... the benefits of kindly rearing and an extremely sharp blade being very much in evidence here.

It tasted fantastic later on that day. :D

Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Interesting. Will you butcher them yourself, or do they get to take a short and gloomy ride to the abattoir when the time comes?

I saw a pig (sorry, Rock :p) being butchered on a family farm in France one time. It was surprisingly humane. I don't think the beastie knew what was going on ... a lot of splashing sounds but no struggling ... the benefits of kindly rearing and an extremely sharp blade being very much in evidence here.

It tasted fantastic later on that day. :D
    I do butcher myself sometimes but when work is good like it is now I take them to the lanolin health and beauty spa for a short vacation.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I do butcher myself sometimes but when work is good like it is now I take them to the lanolin health and beauty spa for a short vacation.
    LMAO. :D I bet it's a short vacation. Good for you though. Happy animals taste far better than scared-to-death factory animals.

I have a thing about animal welfare, seriously. For chicken, I will only buy free-range and ideally organic birds. Usually the two methodologies go together. The standard, EU/US ways of factory farming, particularly for poultry, are very cruel and the end product does not make for a tasty dinner, even though they churn out meat that is, at minimum, 70pc cheaper than what I buy.

I routinely see muppets buying 5 whole chickens in Tesco thinking they're getting a great deal and not even notice the hock burns on what they're buying.