Thread: Quick Easy Meals

Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1 Quick Easy Meals 
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,100
    These are "hair" sheep that don't need to be sheared every year, they are my newest additions.

    Don't worry Shannon these ones get to live, but their children are lunch!:D
    Last edited by Rockntractor; 09-19-2010 at 01:04 AM.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    TehYuk
    Posts
    3,727
    Yum !! They look absolutely delicious. I'm thinking either mint or redcurrant sauce, possibly even both.
    20010911
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,100
    I had been buying them almost ready to butcher and then finishing them on corn because I don't like to shear them and then I found out about these hair sheep, they will be my breeding stock. I might have to buy a couple of wethers to butcher for this year.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    TehYuk
    Posts
    3,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I had been buying them almost ready to butcher and then finishing them on corn because I don't like to shear them and then I found out about these hair sheep, they will be my breeding stock. I might have to buy a couple of wethers to butcher for this year.
    Interesting. Will you butcher them yourself, or do they get to take a short and gloomy ride to the abattoir when the time comes?

    I saw a pig (sorry, Rock :p) being butchered on a family farm in France one time. It was surprisingly humane. I don't think the beastie knew what was going on ... a lot of splashing sounds but no struggling ... the benefits of kindly rearing and an extremely sharp blade being very much in evidence here.

    It tasted fantastic later on that day. :D
    20010911
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,100
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    Interesting. Will you butcher them yourself, or do they get to take a short and gloomy ride to the abattoir when the time comes?

    I saw a pig (sorry, Rock :p) being butchered on a family farm in France one time. It was surprisingly humane. I don't think the beastie knew what was going on ... a lot of splashing sounds but no struggling ... the benefits of kindly rearing and an extremely sharp blade being very much in evidence here.

    It tasted fantastic later on that day. :D
    I do butcher myself sometimes but when work is good like it is now I take them to the lanolin health and beauty spa for a short vacation.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    NeunElfer SuperMod hampshirebrit's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    TehYuk
    Posts
    3,727
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockntractor View Post
    I do butcher myself sometimes but when work is good like it is now I take them to the lanolin health and beauty spa for a short vacation.
    LMAO. :D I bet it's a short vacation. Good for you though. Happy animals taste far better than scared-to-death factory animals.

    I have a thing about animal welfare, seriously. For chicken, I will only buy free-range and ideally organic birds. Usually the two methodologies go together. The standard, EU/US ways of factory farming, particularly for poultry, are very cruel and the end product does not make for a tasty dinner, even though they churn out meat that is, at minimum, 70pc cheaper than what I buy.

    I routinely see muppets buying 5 whole chickens in Tesco thinking they're getting a great deal and not even notice the hock burns on what they're buying.
    20010911
    nie vergessen, nie verzeihen.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    PORCUS MAXIMUS Rockntractor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    oklahoma
    Posts
    41,100
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    LMAO. :D I bet it's a short vacation. Good for you though. Happy animals taste far better than scared-to-death factory animals.

    I have a thing about animal welfare, seriously. For chicken, I will only buy free-range and ideally organic birds. Usually the two methodologies go together. The standard, EU/US ways of factory farming, particularly for poultry, are very cruel and the end product does not make for a tasty dinner, even though they churn out meat that is, at minimum, 70pc cheaper than what I buy.

    I routinely see muppets buying 5 whole chickens in Tesco thinking they're getting a great deal and not even notice the hock burns on what they're buying.
    I have raised my own chicken, duck and goose for years, all my life actually. They live far better than anything raised commercially and they look it too.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Administrator SaintLouieWoman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Sarasota Florida
    Posts
    39,655
    Quote Originally Posted by hampshirebrit View Post
    LMAO. :D I bet it's a short vacation. Good for you though. Happy animals taste far better than scared-to-death factory animals.

    I have a thing about animal welfare, seriously. For chicken, I will only buy free-range and ideally organic birds. Usually the two methodologies go together. The standard, EU/US ways of factory farming, particularly for poultry, are very cruel and the end product does not make for a tasty dinner, even though they churn out meat that is, at minimum, 70pc cheaper than what I buy.

    I routinely see muppets buying 5 whole chickens in Tesco thinking they're getting a great deal and not even notice the hock burns on what they're buying.
    I guess that I'm a true city girl. My ex's folks had a farm where they had one of those factory type chicken establisnments. I almost got sick from the stench and from the dead chickens squeezed in with the live ones. Then I disagreed with her giving cooked chicken bones to her collie, which contantly got bloody sick, literally.

    Top that off with nasty water that was rust coloved (so I brought jugs of St Louis city water with me). I wasn't her favorite person, but then I wasn't up to the dead chickens, et al.

    When I was a kid I went to my great aunt's farm. It probably traumatized me for life when I saw the chickens flopping around after they cut off the head. :eek: I just wasn't cut out for a farm. SR had to take the remote from me last week when I started crying seeing an episode of Blood Dolphin (about the killing cove in Japan). The sight of all those dead dolphins was disturbing. I'm getting very attached to the two dolphins at Mote Marine Research Lab. They're pampered, not like those other poor dolphins.
    http://http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/SarasotaRepub/83069bcc.png

    " To the world you are just one more person, but to a rescued pet, you are the world."

    "
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!"


    Reply With Quote  
     

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •