Hybrid View

1. #1 Hollywood Ponders Strike By Actor Scum. 
    A strike by actors may be in the wings

By Gary Levin, USA TODAY

Here we go again. Still recovering from a three-month writers' strike that crippled the TV and movie business, Hollywood is bracing for the possibility of another walkout, this time by the Screen Actors Guild, as early as June 30.

Filmmakers already are in strike mode: Most projects due to start shooting in the spring were postponed unless they could be completed by month's end. Actors are sitting on the sidelines to await the outcome of negotiations.

"The studios are not greenlighting films right now. It's a bad situation," says Emile Hirsch (Speed Racer), who finished his last project two months ago. "Hopefully, it will all work itself out. Nobody wants to be out of a job."
    Oh, go ahead. It will be a happy day when we can dispense with actors altogether. I seriously doubt that a computer animation program will get blind drunk and lose its underpants between the limo door and the red carpet.

USA Today

An Adversary of Linda #'s
    Quote Originally Posted by Gingersnap1 View Post
    Oh, go ahead. It will be a happy day when we can dispense with actors altogether. I seriously doubt that a computer animation program will get blind drunk and lose its underpants between the limo door and the red carpet.

USA Today
    Really,between the car and the carpet?Dig us the dirt !!

And the actors are considering a strike... why? Because they aren't waited on hand and foot? Because they don't get paid exhorberant sums for lackluster work? Because they don't get enough people fawning over them?

Quote Originally Posted by jinxmchue View Post
    And the actors are considering a strike... why? Because they aren't waited on hand and foot? Because they don't get paid exhorberant sums for lackluster work? Because they don't get enough people fawning over them?
    There's a short list of fake "demands" in the article but I was way too bored to bring it over.

noonwitch
    I'm a UAW member in a workplace in which we are fobidden by law to strike (and we are not the type to strike, as we feel a responsibility to the people we serve).

Striking doesn't resolve anything, these days. Look at how well it worked out for the employees of American Axle. Teachers are the only group that benefit from striking, and they still manage to get everyone pissed off at them whenever they do go on strike.

Unless a union can get all factories across the world in a given field unionized, they will always face a situation in which management will say "You want what? We'll just close this plant and open a new one in Mexico".

I don't even go to Union meetings anymore-they just angry up the blood, as Grandpa Simpson would say.

Yeah! Who needs the likes of Laurence Olivier anyway?!:p
    At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Yeah! Who needs the likes of Laurence Olivier anyway?!:p
    We have thousands of hours of his performances that are digitized. We've got Olivier.