Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Star Trek warp drive is a possibility, say scientists 
    Star Trek warp drive is a possibility, say scientists
    By Roger Highfield, Science Editor

Two physicists have boldly gone where no reputable scientists should go and devised a new scheme to travel faster than the speed of light.

The advance could mean that Star Trek fantasies of interstellar civilisations and voyages powered by warp drive are now no longer the exclusive domain of science fiction writers.

The US Starship Enterprise from the original Star Trek series
    In the long running television series created by Gene Roddenberry, the warp drive was invented by Zefram Cochrane, who began his epic project in 2053 in Bozeman, Montana.

Now Dr Gerald Cleaver, associate professor of physics at Baylor, and Richard Obousy have come up with a new twist on an existing idea to produce a warp drive that they believe can travel faster than the speed of light, without breaking the laws of physics.

In their scheme, in the Journal of the British Interplanetary Society, a starship could "warp" space so that it shrinks ahead of the vessel and expands behind it.

By pushing the departure point many light years backwards while simultaneously bringing distant stars and other destinations closer, the warp drive effectively transports the starship from place to place at faster-than-light speeds.

advertisement
    All this extraordinary feat requires, says the new study, is for scientists to harness a mysterious and poorly understood cosmic antigravity force, called dark energy.

Dark energy is thought responsible for speeding up the expansion rate of our universe as time moves on, just like it did after the Big Bang, when the universe expanded much faster than the speed of light for a very brief time.

This may come as a surprise since, according to relativity theory, matter cannot move through space faster than the speed of light, which is almost 300,000,000 metres per second. But that theory applies only to unwarped 'flat' space.

And there is no limit on the speed with which space itself can

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/mai...rpdrive115.xml
    Gun Control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound - Unknown

The problem is Empty People, Not Loaded Guns - Linda Schrock Taylor

Please. In my lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by expat-pattaya View Post
    Please. In my lifetime.
    Make sure you read to the end of the article Molon posted...

But hold the dilithium crystals: Dr Chris Van Den Broeck of Cardiff University commented: "The problem with this and previous schemes (including my own) is that part of the exotic matter would have to travel faster than the *local* speed of light (roughly speaking, it would need to go faster than the speed of light with respect to the portion of space it occupies), and that's not allowed by any established physical theory."

The energy to kick start the drive turned out to be equivalent to turning the entire mass of Jupiter into energy, by Einstein's famous E equals Mc squared equation, where c is the speed of light. Given the mass of Jupiter is around 2000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 kilograms, that is a big number.

So, chances are there will be no warp drive in your lifetime or for many generations to come.
    Last edited by The Night Owl; 08-18-2008 at 09:25 AM.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

I once read about Prof. Stephen Hawkings' appearance on TNG (where he played poker with Data, Einstein and - I think - Newton). He got a tour of the set. When they visited the Engineering set, Hawking stopped at the warp engine and said, "I'm working on that."
    OPEACHMENT NOW!!!

Stinger:
    "I was... ordered to drop my pants, bend over and spread my cheeks."
    --RagingInMiami achieving the DUmp's highest level of nirvana

Sonnabend
    So, chances are there will be no warp drive in your lifetime or for many generations to come.
    That's what they said about Moon landings and computers...oh wait....

Warp drives are easy - given some yet undiscovered power source. Not running into crap in deep space isn’t so easy. And moving that crap out of the way with some sort of ‘prow’ might cause some unforeseen consequences (think astoundingly huge boat wake).

At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)

Quote Originally Posted by LogansPapa View Post
    Warp drives are easy - given some yet undiscovered power source. Not running into crap in deep space isn’t so easy. And moving that crap out of the way with some sort of ‘prow’ might cause some unforeseen consequences (think astoundingly huge boat wake).

Surfs up :D

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnabend View Post
    That's what they said about Moon landings and computers...oh wait....
    Building a warp drive is not comparable to landing a spacecraft on the Moon. Landing on the Moon was an engineering challenge. Building a warp drive is an engineering challenge and a theoretical challenge.
    Ubi Dubium Ibi Libertas

Dark matter scares me!

Though Id like to see Warp achieved
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants, it is the creed of slaves." -William Pitt

Yeah, let famine and aggression from crack-pot dictators go on their marry ways and use more power than is contained within a gas giant in our solar system to go…….somewhere. There’s a priority.

At Coretta Scott King's funeral in early 2006, Ethel Kennedy, the widow of Robert Kennedy, leaned over to him and whispered, "The torch is being passed to you." "A chill went up my spine," Obama told an aide. (Newsweek)