Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post
    That is not exactly a trivial difference.

That's like saying that the Buddhist monk who immolates himself as a protest differs from the Muslims who took down the WTC in that the Buddhist only sets himself on fire, while Mohammed Atta and his crew cremated 3,000 people along with themselves. Other than that, it's all the same.

I'm not making the comments on a moral judgement level, because obviously, the offense that takes out a bunch of innocent people is morally worse than a strictly suicidal act. Some suicidal acts are even heroic-sacificing one's own life or safety for that of another person. I was looking at it from more of a psychological profile kind of way, and the way people in that religion perceive the situation. The people committing terroristic acts, like suicide bombers or whatever, think that they are doing God's work. It's part of their MO.

My point was that if I had told a very christian teacher that I was willing to die for Jesus Christ, that teacher may consider that to be evidence of a kid with a strong faith, not a reason for a psychological evaluation. Children's innocent faith is what people like radical islamic terrorist recuriters prey upon when they recruit their "soldiers" at such a young age.

Quote Originally Posted by noonwitch View Post
    I'm not making the comments on a moral judgement level, because obviously, the offense that takes out a bunch of innocent people is morally worse than a strictly suicidal act. Some suicidal acts are even heroic-sacificing one's own life or safety for that of another person. I was looking at it from more of a psychological profile kind of way, and the way people in that religion perceive the situation. The people committing terroristic acts, like suicide bombers or whatever, think that they are doing God's work. It's part of their MO.

My point was that if I had told a very christian teacher that I was willing to die for Jesus Christ, that teacher may consider that to be evidence of a kid with a strong faith, not a reason for a psychological evaluation. Children's innocent faith is what people like radical islamic terrorist recuriters prey upon when they recruit their "soldiers" at such a young age.
    Except that a very Christian teacher would see a suicide as a sin, a rejection and renunciation of God's greatest gift. Such an attitude would actually be an abrogation of faith in God's love and mercy. Surprsingly, one of the best statements of the Christian position on suicide came from the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams, who is usually so open-minded that he has a hard time believing the tenets of his own faith, but who made a definite pronouncement, stating

"
    Do I have a right to die? Religious believers answer for themselves that they do not. For a believer to say: 'The time could come when I find myself in a situation that has no meaning, and I reserve the right to end my life in such a situation,' would be to say that there is some aspect of human life where God cannot break through. It would be to say that when I as an individual can no longer give meaning to my life, it has no value, and human dignity is best served by ending it."
    This, in turn, brings up an significant difference between Islam and the Judeo-Christian beliefs on the sanctity of life. In Judaism and Christianity, all human lives are sacred. In Islam, not only is the life of the infidel of negligible value, but the lives of the faithful are simply ammunition for Allah.

You know, for an agnostic, I write a pretty good religious treatise, if I do say so myself. :D
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Saira Shah states that Israeli gunfire was responsible for the death of film-maker James Miller. That's an impressive ballistic analysis, what with the shooting coming from all sides, in the dark. It wouldn't be the first time that Paleistinians blamed Israelis for a death that they, themselves, caused. In fact, the standard narrative in the Middle East is for Arabs to create a horrific situation and then blame everyone but themselves for it.
    This reminds me of the beginning of the 2nd Iraq War in 2003. CNN was showing a broadcast of Al Jazeera when they went into a hospital and saw a wounded little girl of about 5 or 6 in a bed and asked her what happened. She told them a rocket had hit her house. They asked her what kind of rocket. She answered, "an American rocket." Wow, that's pretty good. A 5 or 6 year old little girl can tell what kind of rocket hit her house. She'll definitely have a career as a sonar operator on a submarine.

As for Wee Wee, what do you think of when you see video of children at Klan meetings wearing little sheets? Hell, here is the opening to True Blood. Look at the :27 second mark and tell me what you see and how it makes you feel. Then tell me the difference between that and the Palestinians indoctrinating their children:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxINMuOgAu8
    The Obama Administration: Deny. Deflect. Blame.

Quote Originally Posted by NJCardFan View Post
    Look at the :27 second mark and tell me what you see and how it makes you feel. Then tell me the difference between that and the Palestinians indoctrinating their children:
    The Klan kids are wearing clean sheets. :D

--Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

The big Cheese
    One does not greet death when he knocks at your door.

Nay you repeatedly punch him in the throat as he slowly drags you away.

Except that a very Christian teacher would see a suicide as a sin, a rejection and renunciation of God's greatest gift. Such an attitude would actually be an abrogation of faith in God's love and mercy. Surprsingly, one of the best statements of the Christian position on suicide came from the Archbishop of Canterbury, Dr. Rowan Williams, who is usually so open-minded that he has a hard time believing the tenets of his own faith, but who made a definite pronouncement, stating

"

This, in turn, brings up an significant difference between Islam and the Judeo-Christian beliefs on the sanctity of life. In Judaism and Christianity, all human lives are sacred. In Islam, not only is the life of the infidel of negligible value, but the lives of the faithful are simply ammunition for Allah.

You know, for an agnostic, I write a pretty good religious treatise, if I do say so myself. :D

Being willing to die for one's God or to protect innocent people is not suicidal like a suicidal bombing, but those who commit the latter act think that they are doing the former. They think their death will be a part of bringing justice.

I'm not defending suicide bombers, here. But if we are going to fight those who commit these types of attacks, we have to understand where they are coming from and how they appeal to potential recruits. The WOT is not only about military strategies, it's also about preventing recruitment of potential terrorists.