Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 'Stop-start' system coming to U.S. cars 
    'Stop-start' system coming to U.S. cars
    Published: Sept. 18, 2010 at 5:07 PM

DETROIT, Sept. 18 (UPI) -- A relatively simple and inexpensive fuel-saving technology from Europe will soon be introduced on vehicles in North America, engineers say.

So-called start-stop systems that turn off a car when it is idling and reignite the engine when the driver releases the brake will be coming to the United States and Canada in the next five years, The Detroit News reported.

The technology is widespread in Europe and will be embraced in North America as a tool to meet increasingly stringent fuel-economy and emissions requirements, auto experts say.

"Engineers kill for one-tenth of a mile per gallon," Joe Phillippi of AutoTrends Consulting Inc. said. "In city driving, it would make a huge impact."

Estimates vary, but the consensus is shutting off the engine at a stop can improve fuel economy as much as 15 percent.

Consumer acceptance could be a challenge.
    Interesting.

Science News

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    I was told that turning an engine on an off constentlly used more fuel than letting it idle...eh...w/e works i guess

Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post
    I was told that turning an engine on an off constentlly used more fuel than letting it idle...eh...w/e works i guess
    What does this system do on the starter and/or engine? all that starting and stopping cant be good be good for it.

Senior Member Constitutionally Speaking's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fettpett View Post

Depends on how long it is stopped. I forget the exact time but the break-even point is something like 15 seconds - depending on what model you drive.
    I long for the days when our President actually liked our country.

Quote Originally Posted by Bailey View Post
    What does this system do on the starter and/or engine? all that starting and stopping cant be good be good for it.
    I'd buy stock in a towing company...:D
    Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem.
    Ronald Reagan

We could say they are spending like drunken sailors. That would be unfair to drunken sailors, they're spending their OWN money.
    Ronald Reagan

R.I.P. Crockspot

Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I'd buy stock in a towing company...:D
    :D Starter + cellunoid company!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

You better be able to turn this off! In Arizona in June, in rough hour traffic you'll need the engine running just to power the A/C. When the engine is off, the compressor doesn't function. You'll be in a 120 degree car if you just started your trip or find yourself in stop-go traffic.
    "In England a king hath little more to do than to make war and give away places; which in plain terms, is to impoverish the nation and set it together by the ears. A pretty business indeed for a man to be allowed eight hundred thousand sterling a year for, and worshipped into the bargain! Of more worth is one honest man to society and in the sight of God, than all the crowned ruffians that ever lived."
    —Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    You better be able to turn this off! In Arizona in June, in rough hour traffic you'll need the engine running just to power the A/C. When the engine is off, the compressor doesn't function. You'll be in a 120 degree car if you just started your trip or find yourself in stop-go traffic.
    Same thing in FL! They do think things out, don't they!!

: “Grow your own dope. Plant a liberal.”
    ” Obummercare, 20 percent of the time it works everytime.

Quote Originally Posted by malloc View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by patriot45 View Post
    Same thing in FL! They do think things out, don't they!!
    some of the northern states in the winter you may not be able to get the engine restarted after it cutsoff. thats why they have softplugs/blockheaters and sometimes that doesn't work.
    The 21st century. The age of Smart phones and Stupid people.

It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Banned
    Another Env. loony tune idea from the EU.