Thread: The Jeans Care Secret: Rarely Wash Them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The Jeans Care Secret: Rarely Wash Them 
    The Jeans Care Secret: Rarely Wash Them

By CHERYL LU-LIEN TAN

Carl Chiara, director of brand concepts and special projects for Levi Strauss & Co., is among the growing number of jeans enthusiasts who believe in washing them as little as possible.

Mr. Chiara, who says he wears jeans every day in both work and social situations, believes that "the less people wash their jeans, the better their jeans become. Denim really does shape to people's bodies, and when you wash a jean you lose some of that shape."

He doesn't like to put his jeans in a washing machine because agitating the denim makes the fibers on the cotton fabric swell and "bloom." That in turn causes the yarns to tense up and actually get shorter, shrinking the jeans. This also mars the "open" look of the denim, Mr. Chiara says. The color may fade or change as well.

He also avoids heat—using hot water on his jeans or throwing them in a dryer—to protect the quality of the jean, he says.

So does he dry clean his jeans? No, because he doesn't like them coming back stiff—and perhaps with a center crease if they get pressed like trousers. "The jeans should take on your personal day-to-day life and look like you," he says. For example, his own jeans bear the weathered marks of his keys, which he keeps in his front pocket, and his bag, which tends to rub against his upper thigh.

This is not to say that Mr. Chiara doesn't ever clean the 15 pairs of jeans that he owns. He gently spot-cleans spills with a damp sponge and "whatever is under the kitchen sink—usually Windex or 409."

At the end of each day, he hangs his jeans on a hook in his bathroom. When he takes a shower, the steam "freshens [the jeans] up a little bit," he says. He prefers hanging jeans by a belt loop to preserve their shape.

After six months of wearing a pair of jeans, Mr. Chiara does a comprehensive cleaning; his method could also be used by those who like to wash their jeans more often. Usually, he fills a bathtub to about six inches with room-temperature water and adds two tablespoons of Dr. Bronner's Magic Liquid Soap, which he likes because it is mild. Then, he immerses the jeans in the tub, laying them flat.
    Spoken like somebody who hasn't done an honest day's work in his life.

WSJ

Gross. This dude clearly does not live in the desert. I love my jeans but they get tossed in the washer on a weekly basis. Your welcome, society.

Quote Originally Posted by jendf View Post
    Gross. This dude clearly does not live in the desert. I love my jeans but they get tossed in the washer on a weekly basis. Your welcome, society.

He's just too cheap to replace his jeans once they are worn out.

Resident Unliked Meanie Shannon's Avatar
    My rule is that you can wear jeans two times before washing them. Tristan drives me bonkers with his stupid "skinny" jeans. He insists that they be washed inside out then hung to dry. He does his own laundry now...
    Loyalty Binds Me- Motto of Richard III

I wonder if he cried over the first pair of acid-washed jeans he saw...
    -
    -
    -

In actual dollars, President Obama’s $4.4 trillion in deficit spending in just three years is 37 percent higher than the previous record of $3.2 trillion (held by President George W. Bush) in deficit spending for an entire presidency. It’s no small feat to demolish an 8-year record in just 3 years.

Under Obama’s own projections, interest payments on the debt are on course to triple from 2010 (his first budgetary year) to 2018, climbing from $196 billion to $685 billion annually.

Quote Originally Posted by Shannon View Post
    My rule is that you can wear jeans two times before washing them. Tristan drives me bonkers with his stupid "skinny" jeans. He insists that they be washed inside out then hung to dry. He does his own laundry now...

I agree with you, two days and then in the wash. (maybe one day if real dirty) :D

For example, his own jeans bear the weathered marks of his keys, which he keeps in his front pocket, and his bag, which tends to rub against his upper thigh.
    Anyone else think they were talking about something else?:o

Best Bounty Hunter in the Forums fettpett's Avatar
    i usually do 3-4 days with jeans/pants unless they get really dirty...

I don't care who you are and how clean you think you are: going months without washing your clothing to maintain some kind of hipster vibe is just wrong.

Mine are trashed in the first two hours every day.