Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Odysseus View Post

So, for several months, this guy was telling someone that he wanted to kill people, before that someone fed him to the FBI. It's possible that he would have remained a big talker if that hadn't occurred, but if, OTOH, he had hooked up with a real jihadi, I have no doubt that the bomb would have been real.
    Depends on the amount of pushing, and how much money he was offered yeah? Lots of people shoot their mouths off. But if an undercover FBI goes up to any random person and says "here's a million bucks, you just have to commit this crime" the amount of people that would take the offer is a much larger number than the amount of people that would commit the same crime under their own initiative.

Quote Originally Posted by m00 View Post
    Depends on the amount of pushing, and how much money he was offered yeah? Lots of people shoot their mouths off. But if an undercover FBI goes up to any random person and says "here's a million bucks, you just have to commit this crime" the amount of people that would take the offer is a much larger number than the amount of people that would commit the same crime under their own initiative.
    It doesn't say that the FBI paid him to do it, and apparently he pestered his acquaintance enough to call in the Feds. I'm sure that his lawyer will argue entrapment, but I'm also pretty sure that the FBI has enough on tape to disprove that. This guy clearly had the desire to kill lots of people and I'll sleep better knowing that he's not in a position to do it.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    This moron apparently was mad at Mayor Daley.

Kudos to the FBI for stopping this clown.

I can't imagine the chaos that would have been created had this been a real bomb and gone off where the backpack was being dropped.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Festivus Moderator ralph wiggum's Avatar
    Wrigleyville bomb suspect may claim entrapment

As prosecutors take up the challenge of trying to convict a man arrested in an alleged bomb plot in Chicago, they may have to show the suspect wasn't egged on by an informant or undercover FBI agents into a crime he didn't initially intend to commit.

Hassoun is due in court at 3:30 p.m. today for a detention hearing. His attorney, Myron Auerbach, says it's not clear if the judge will rule on bail at that hearing.

Auerbach said Tuesday he needed to study the case further before deciding on a defense strategy. But he left open the possibility of citing entrapment.

"My client didn't bring anything of his own making to the incident. Things were given to him," he said.

Former federal prosecutor Eric Sussman said the issue of entrapment is often broached in such cases.

"You have to show the suspect is someone predisposed to committing the crime rather than the informant being the instigator," Sussman said.

Hassoun, a Lebanese citizen who has lived in Chicago for about three years, was charged Monday with attempted use of a weapon of mass destruction and of an explosive device.
    Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Quote Originally Posted by ralph wiggum View Post
    In a related note, water is wet.
    --Odysseus
    Sic Hacer Pace, Para Bellum.

Before you can do things for people, you must be the kind of man who can get things done. But to get things done, you must love the doing, not the people!